Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's been alot of info about new oil for the winter storage, had mine changed about 500mi ago with harley synthic still think I should change don't expect to be putting to many more mi. on the sporty? I'm still riding but short trips, around town.

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As long as you're riding it, and long enough to "dry" the oil out from condensation, then theoretically, you're not "storing" it, so no need to change it until it's either time, or you decide to let it sit for months.

Some people may argue this, in that dirty oil contains byproducts of combustion that are corrosive. Not something I want in my aluminum engine for long periods of time, if it's dormant and being stored.

Use common sense..... If it has 500 miles on it, and you ride it every so often, (as do I with my bike) then I say no. It's important to ride it to full temperature and about 15-20 minutes after that to dry your oil. Maybe slightly less time.....
With todays eng. and oils my tech. know how is limited. wasn't quite sure. Things have sure changed in a short time. Thanks:ride:cheers:

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,499 Posts
...still riding but short trips, around town...
I agree w/ Dave, if you occasionally ride long enough to get up to full temp, and then some, I'd never consider the bike laid up.

If there is any question about the rides being long enough, let it idle a bit before and/or after the short trips.

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks again guys

1 - 4 of 4 Posts