Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
08 Heritage, my garage is detached and is not insulated. Plan to wash, wax and store in the near future.

I plan to remove battery, bags and seats and store them in basement with a tender on the battery.

Cover and leave bike in garage.

Change fluids in spring.

Is there something else I should know?

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
X2 on filling it with fresh gas with added stabilizer. Really fill it, leave as little air space in tank as possible(top it off the the bottom of neck)

·
Frozen Member
2,314 Posts
#1- Dont pipe your dryer exhaust to the garage for heat!
#2- Rodents have been known to chew wiring and nest in the strangest places.
#3- Wives have been known to chew other things when you mess with their nests.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I would definitely make sure the garage is "Rodent Proof" . . . one mouse can cause $$$ in damage. I store my bike in my attached garage which is not heated (I live in Minnesota). I have a couple of those plug-in electronic devices that send out an ultrasonic soundwave that deters rodents. It works . . . I haven't had a mouse in the garage for 20 years. The ultrasonic soundwave is uncomfortable for the rodents and keeps them away. I put down those square foam pads that snap together so both bikes are not in direct contact with the cement floor. I use a wheel chock for my Ultra Limited so it sets upright and takes up less space.

Only thing I have to be careful about during the winter in a garage that is not heated . . . When I look at my bike in the middle of January and start crying because I can't ride it, those tears instantly freeze to the garage floor and can sometimes be slippery!

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for the input. After reading Louisville Joe's comment on Sea Foam, I ran across this article. . . Sea Foam it is. I like the idea of the ultrasonic rodent repellent rather than traps, will look into this.

Next question - My intent was to leave it on the jack for easier mobility and space savings . . . any concerns with leaving the suspension unloaded for 6 months? Thanks again.

·
Registered
10,470 Posts
Thank you all for the input. After reading Louisville Joe's comment on Sea Foam, I ran across this article. . . Sea Foam it is. I like the idea of the ultrasonic rodent repellent rather than traps, will look into this.

Next question - My intent was to leave it on the jack for easier mobility and space savings . . . any concerns with leaving the suspension unloaded for 6 months? Thanks again.
I keep my RG on my Sears yellow jack. With the bike standing straight up I can get my Tahoe in the garage also. But, I just pump the jack handle a few times to get the bike standing straight up, the jack is holding some of the bike's weight and it is stable but I'm not "unloading" the suspension and my tires are still making full or just about full contact with the garage floor.

·
American
25,962 Posts
Keep mine on lift all winter..... which here is a long time.... :sad Straped, tires do not touch floor... once or twice a month I turn rear tire so belt gets moved.... on tender and fuel stabilizer added.... covered with multiple blankets.....

·
Old Skool
452 Posts
I have mine full of Fuel with StaBil, on the Battery Tender and Covered. If it's 20° and Sunny 🌞, I'm Riding! Oh, by the way, I Rode my Bike to Trailer Week this Year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts