Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve never really stored my bikes for the winter. I usually catch a day or two here and there that I can ride, but this year a friend asked to store his bike in my garage because he sold his house and is downsizing. Plans to sell the bike in the spring. (It’s a 2016 Heritage with about 730 miles, if anyone is interested).

So other than the obvious, battery tender and stability in the fuel, do y’all do anything else pre or post storage?

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That’s All I do ..... except it’s on a lift.
Well, I’m not putting his bike on one of my lifts, unless it’s to work on it. The lifts will be tied up with mine.

I also throw some carpet or cardboard under the tires. Not enough time to rot, but figure it can't hurt.
Cardboard sounds like a good idea.

Thanks, y’all!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Any moisture in the floor of your garage? If yes, cardboard or carpet will absorb it and the tires will be in it.

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any moisture in the floor of your garage? If yes, cardboard or carpet will absorb it and the tires will be in it.
523CB1BB-63CB-475F-8307-8C076765DF0F.jpg

It’s usually not bad where it is setting. Once in a while a hard rain with a strong north wind will blow a little under the door.

·
Registered
11,611 Posts
Put some steel wool in mufflers and air cleaner intake openings, keep any way ward critters out.

Reactions: slingshot383

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
A good friend of mine used to put a 5 gal bucket in the garage with some anti freeze in the bottom with a round pipe going across the top. In 4 months of winter he caught 6 little mices .
I never did that because I alway took my bike out here for winter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Use a drier with a recycling heated lint trap exhaust hose will keep moisture down.
Well, after a lot of research, I decided to vent the dryer into the garage to help with keeping the bikes warm, but I ran an inline dehumidifier.

I don’t know if y’all know it or not, but the search function on this forum is great! You can learn a lot about condensation!

Gon ahead, try it...i dare ya!

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I put battery maintainers on all of mine. You can catch them on sale at Harbor Freight for $4.99 or sometimes $5.99.
I have four scooters and a zero turn mower on them. But, I don’t use Harbor Freight maintainers. I use Harbor Freight for things that don’t get used often, like a bead breaker. Things that are going to be used a lot, I don’t cheap out on.

·
Proud Infidel
2,773 Posts
Things that are going to be used a lot, I don’t cheap out on.
There's cheap and there's economical.

I believe in getting the most bang for the buck. Sometimes it's expensive. Sometimes modest.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
835 Posts
A good friend of mine used to put a 5 gal bucket in the garage with some anti freeze in the bottom with a round pipe going across the top. In 4 months of winter he caught 6 little mices .
I never did that because I alway took my bike out here for winter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Best mouse trap I ever made . . . Filled a five-gallon bucket halfway with water. Added some sunflower seeds (bird feed) - they float on the top of the water. Moved the bucket next to the workbench (so mice could "access" the bucket and jump in). Next morning - 17 mice. Set it up the next day, 8 more mice. This was at my parents house when I was in college. apparently mice don't take swimming lessons.

I have two of those electronic rodent gadgets plugged into outlets in my garage. I haven't had any mice in my garage in 20 years. The put out a high frequency soundwave that mice don't like.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I lay foam pads on the floor (the squares that snap together . . . I think they are for putting under weight and exercise machines). That adds a buffer between the cement floor and the bike's tires. I cover both bikes until Spring when there is a lot of moisture in the air from snow melting. I remove the covers so I don't trap moisture and avoid rust starting. Battery tender, full tank of gas w/stabilizer, make sure tires have correct air pressure (pressure will drop one pound for every 10 degrees of temperature drop). I remove anything I don't want to freeze from the tour pak (e.g. travel size Bug Slide).

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There's cheap and there's economical
Agreed.

Hell, my motorcycle jacks are harbor freight, because they work. Well, one doesn’t, but that’s not the jacks fault. Even pushed up under my 5th wheel, the gulf humidity got to it. I’ll get it back to working order, though.

There’s just some things that I prefer to know are dependable, instead of hoping. The price of a battery will offset a couple of tenders.

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
I put battery maintainers on all of mine. You can catch them on sale at Harbor Freight for $4.99 or sometimes $5.99.
I ruined a car battery with one of those HF "float chargers". My brother ruined 1 m/c battery and 1 car battery with them. Apparently they don't ever stop charging.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts