Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
IBA Member 40248
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on a previous thread I started on breaking in my new bike, looks like I'm in the right forum. My next issue is with winterizing.. got LOTS of online info.. Here's my question(s)....

I bought my new 2008 Ultra last week.. I live in Northern VA.. its starting to get COLD and I have NO garage.. so i bought the HD Super cover.. supposed to be the best with two fabrics and breathability.. I cleaned the bike, pretty well... Still need to hit the underside.. but I'll get to it this week. I topped off my tank with premium and added a fuel stabilizer... And i got a battery tender. The oil should still be fine as it only has about 300 miles on it. With that, here it comes.. haha....

1. What else can I do to protect my investment/dream bike?
2. Do i need to run the engine to get the treated gas into the injectors?
3. Any issue with the chrome/paint getting corroded over a long winter sleep with only a cover?
4. I want to ride it on the few warm days, but I heard salted roads can play havoc with the underside.. true?
5. How long, if i decide to start the engine, should I run it so as to evaporate any/all condensation in the engine?

Thanks folks.. I'm new to this and after spending what I did on this bike, I want it to last for several years..

VR,
Mike....

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
2:You need to run the engine a few minutes to get the fuel stabilizer into the injectors.
3:Wax bike and use a good breathable cover.
4:Salt is no good for your bike.
5:If you are going to run it at anytime you must get to operating temperature.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
If You have mice in Your neighbor hood Ya might want to use some mothballs or dryer sheets tucked around it.
Put some suitable sized plugs in the end of the mufflers too.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,181 Posts
Take it in the house.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Take it in the house.
Aint laughin thats what I do if I have to leave the other bike home a couple days whilst I travel. Never tried to get my ultra thru the door yet wonder if?????

·
IBA Member 40248
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can see my neighbors staring out thier windows wondering what the hell I'm doing trying to get this 850+lb bike up the stairs and through my front door.. I can widen my front door with a chain saw perhaps.. but hey.. it IS a Harley Ultra right?? haha.. Too funny Nathang... :)

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
76 FLH bagger fits through a 36 inch door just fine.:D
97 Dyne fits through a 32 inch door with a little manouvering.:rofl::rofl:

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Some people like to run a small light bulb under the cover to reduce humidity.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I got a real problem trying to get my sidecar into the house....maybe trough that sliding glass door.
We did live with my son's Sporty in the dining room for a winter while he did mods. It was OK until he wanted to hear his new pipes. :banana

·
IBA Member 40248
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey.. the light bulb is pretty novel.. kinda like a water pump house in the winter.. might have to try that one...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts