Harley Davidson Forums banner

Wireless Communication/Intercom Systems

6K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  naknekpete 
#1 ·
I would like to purchase a wireless communications/intercom system to use with half-helmets. When my wife and I ride together on my Ultra Limited, we plug into Harley's intercom system. We also like to ride separately, so we are looking to purchase a wireless system. We're never too far apart on the road, so I'm not concerned about the range so much as I am looking for a quality system that is dependable and reliable. I've started researching the Sena SPH10 system, and the reviews seem mostly positive.

Thank You in advance for any information you can share with me - what system do you use and how do you like it.

#2 ·
I have the Sena 20S and love it. The charge connection is the same as my Galaxy S6 Phone so I can use the same chord when traveling and I do travel. The wireless unit is really easy to use and Bluetooth connection is also easy to set up and use. Be sure to download the Sena Manual to your computer and you will be happy.

#3 ·
Sena

DRVMN
My buddy and I both bought the Sena 20s system so we can communicate while riding. We were pleasantly surprised at how well they work.We can be well over 1/2 to 3/4 mile apart and they are crystal clear.They work great in town as well even when you cannot see each other. Out in the country a large hill will block them off but as soon as you top the hill they are right back on again.There is no problem hearing them above the sounds of exhaust and wind. The foam on the boom mic virtually eliminates all wind roar even at 70-75 mph. We have been using the boom mic with 3/4 style helmets but will switch to 'beanies' when it warms up more. We are Super pleased with them in every respect.All we use them for is communicating with each other so I cannot comment on all the many other features of the 20s.
Colt.45

#4 ·
I would like to purchase a wireless communications/intercom system to use with half-helmets. When my wife and I ride together on my Ultra Limited, we plug into Harley's intercom system. We also like to ride separately, so we are looking to purchase a wireless system. We're never too far apart on the road, so I'm not concerned about the range so much as I am looking for a quality system that is dependable and reliable. I've started researching the Sena SPH10 system, and the reviews seem mostly positive.

Thank You in advance for any information you can share with me - what system do you use and how do you like it.
Have you thought about using the built-in CB ????

#5 ·
My wife and I used the Cardo Scala Q3 for about a year. I liked the reception but did not like the battery life. When we would take long trips the battery would only last 6 to 8 hours. Sometimes we ride for 12 or so. Also when it is in standby mode the 5 or so seconds before it "wakes up" could mean the difference of "watch out for that deer" or "oh chit! You hit the deer!"

#6 ·
My son and I bought Scala G9's. They work pretty well, but they are way too complicated. Pairing them with other Scala comm devices is supposed to work, but I have had no luck in pairing with my brothers Q2. The manual is most unhelpful. Think I would go with a Sena next time.
-Mike-

#9 ·
I ended up purchasing the Sena SMH10 (Two-Pack) and absolutely love them! My wife wears a Harley-Davidson half-helmet with built-in speaker pockets and the microphone boom reaches her perfect. I installed mine in a 3/4 helmet with a recessed area for speakers and works perfect too. I love being able to talk to my wife when we ride, whether we ride together on my bike or separate on our own bikes. The range is good - almost 1000 feet and we only experience wind noise over 65 m.p.h. or on really windy rides (usually cross winds). Talk time is 10 plus hours, we can pair them with our phones and answer calls, stream music, etc. It makes for a more enjoyable ride and I like the safety aspect too . . . when my wife rides in front of me, I can be a second set of eyes for her and warn her of upcoming vehicles, lane changes, etc. Much more enjoyable too because I can talk to my beautiful wife as we ride, which is the best part!

#12 ·
I just started using the smh 10 and added the sena Freewire to my ride. The more I get used to it the more I am liking it. The Freewire allows me to have full function of the entertainment system without wires attached me.

#13 ·
With the Sena sm10, it will allow 2 Bluetooth units to pair to it. All that is needed is the 7 pin connector that will plug into the Ultra and the Limited. Works well with the Harley infotainment center on the bikes. It will now allow the the use of the cb radio though. Later, papanewt

#14 ·
Just a little update.

Only problem I have is when listening to FM radio,
it doesn't play GPS instructions when they come up.
I'll have to see if I have something set up wrong. :dunno
Have an open ticket with Sena about this problem.
Running the latest 1.6.3 Software.
Phone is an Android running the latest (as of this post) 6.0.1 on a Nexus 6

They had me do a factory reset, but problem still exists.

I still can not hear GPS directions whenever the FM radio is on.

I also had someone try to give me a call while I was listening to FM radio, and it did not ring to the headphones (or the phone either).

And whenever I am on the phone with them with FM off, then turn on FM radio, the call gets transferred to the phone until I switch off FM again.

I haven't been able to test the intercom functionality when listening to FM. Don't know anybody else with a Sena.
Well, it looks like my 20s is defective.

Sena support just asked for my mailing info for warranty.

This sux, it never even worked right straight out of the box. :(

Seems to be a huge problem with the 20s not working right straight out of the box, primarily tied to the FM radio in one way or another.

Seems like their QA is severely lacking and they didn't adequately test the product before releasing it.
Yep, decided to go with the refund.

Sena asked for my info to process the warranty and I gave it to them 3 days ago.
Not a peep since then.

Figure this riding season is almost over, so I'll have about 9 months till the 30K is out and decide if I want to give Sena a second chance or not.

One good thing if I do go with the 30K is that the helmet mounting kits are the same as the 20S.

Just make sure you test your Sena FULLY before your return period expires, as their Customer Service is overwhelmed with bad units. DO NOT hold out and hope that a future firmware release will correct any problems you have.

The 30K should be out in a few months.

#17 ·
It connects with Sena wireless headsets.

But for battery life, you can wire it up to charge while you ride, effectively giving you unlimited battery life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.