Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm kind of overwhelmed by wiring. I figured just wire up 2 wires and done. But the brake light has this electrical junction box that 6, 2, and 2 wires plug into and 4 go out of to the brake/tail light. It is housed in the humongous brake light. The new on doesn't have room for it. Can I eliminate it and just wire the 6 colored wires going in and to the like colored wires going out??
I can then stuff them into the body of the new taillight.

Attachments

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
The light you have pictured on the right, has 3 wires. One hot for park, one hot for brake and one for ground.

YOU need to figure which wire is park or brake, based on what filiment it lights up. I'm guessing that black is ground. Red is brake and white is park.

To mate to your HD wiring, black to black. Red to red/yellow stripe and white to "BE".... (What color is BE?" Blue?)

Personaly, I prefer the ground wire, as it completes the circuit and no longer relies on the part's connections to make the circuit. Brighter light and more reliable. Less spikes going through the regulator as well.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The picture I posted shows a black ground. The tail light actually only has a black and red. I've already found that Black is dim ( light) and Red is bright ( brake). What I want to do is eliminate the big plug ( marked X) and hook the wires from both circles and stuff under new tail light.

Attachments

·
Retired citizen
23,087 Posts
You can do that but 4 of the wires in that housing are for the directionals. You'll have to wire the directionals direct. If the tailight only has 2 wires then the housing is the ground. I would use the ground wire in the original wiring to ground the new tail light housing. Maybe drill a small hole in the housing, put a spade end on the original ground wire and screw it to the housing.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can do that but 4 of the wires in that housing are for the directionals. You'll have to wire the directionals direct. If the tailight only has 2 wires then the housing is the ground. I would use the ground wire in the original wiring to ground the new tail light housing. Maybe drill a small hole in the housing, put a spade end on the original ground wire and screw it to the housing.
Yeah I would take V to V and Blk to Blk on the signals and then take the others to the tail/brake light. I can drill a hole under the new light and feed the wires through and connect under the new light housing.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I started it. :eek

Attachments

·
Retired citizen
23,087 Posts
Yeah, violet to black and brown to black for the signals. Violet and brown are the signal hot wires, black is the common ground.
You'll notice in the diagram that the BE (blue) wire is only for HDI systems. The 3 remaining wires will run your brake / tail light.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank's all. I can see this is going to be a 1 1/2 day project. I am going on 4 hours and getting faded. Getting old sucks.
:mad

·
Retired citizen
23,087 Posts
Same here with my computer ... SHIT MAN I'd rather be working on a HARLEY today !
I wonder if there's a Harley / Computer Co-op someplace !
Ain't it kinda cold down by you now ???

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Same here with my computer ... SHIT MAN I'd rather be working on a HARLEY today !
I wonder if there's a Harley / Computer Co-op someplace !
Ain't it kinda cold down by you now ???
It's about 64. I'm in shorts/ tee barefoot.
:loco

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tired, will wire tomorrow.

Attachments

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
If you were close, I'd give you a hand. Keep us posted.

And stop rubbing it in about the 64 degrees....lol

·
Retired citizen
23,087 Posts
Tail light looks good ! Why do have such a LARGE license plate ???

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tail light looks good ! Why do have such a LARGE license plate ???
It's 4X7 California motorcycle plate.

I decided to just keep the electrical junction block and wrap it good w/ electrical tape and zip tie it up tight against the bottom of the fender and that way I only have to pull 2 wires through the fender to the brake/ tail light. Sounds hokey but,....I don't want to start cutting wires and end up lost.
I don't see how to wire the turn signal. If I hook up V to both then both will come on when either signal is pushed. ( see original schematic)

Attachments

·
Retired citizen
23,087 Posts
The signal wires are violet left side and brown right side. Look at the wire colors in the junction block where the signals plug in. The wires in the harness to the junction block are violet and brown. The wires that go from the junction block to the signals are both violet.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The signal wires are violet left side and brown right side. Look at the wire colors in the junction block where the signals plug in. The wires in the harness to the junction block are violet and brown. The wires that go from the junction block to the signals are both violet.
Excellent. Many thanks. I was wondering what the BN wire going into the junction was. Now I can figure it out and cut the junction box off and run the wires through the fender.

:thumbsup

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Done. And, everything works. Thanks all.
:thumbsup

Only 1 minor screw up. I had to hammer the top of the light down because I drilled the 3 mounting holes tight. I was in a hurry and hit it with my fist. Only problem was I had a phillips screwdriver in my hand and put a faint 1" scratch in the black part of the fender. Have to look close to see, but...sometimes you gotta slow down and think...

Attachments

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,100 Posts
Or at least wrap it to match the fender a bit more... :nod

1 - 20 of 29 Posts