Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Amatuer Fab Guy
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys, i did a quick search on this and didnt find what i need. i've also google the snot out of this, and none of the solutions have worked, so i figured i woudl ask the experts.

i have a shovelhead in a 96 paughco frame that i bought used. all the accessories seem to be 96 softail stuff. ive recently started a bobber resto-mod, and am trying to get my wiring right. i have 2 red turnsignals with two wires, red & black, on each one. the red wire powers one bulb, and the black wire powers a second bulb. the ground is through the body and mount. lights are brand new. my harley taillight harness connects to the main harness via a 6 pin connector that only uses 4 pins. wire colors in and out of the connector are red, orange, purple and brown. i have determined that the purple wire is the left signal power, the brown wire is the right signal power, and the red wire is run, orange wire is brake. the red and orange wire could be backwards, since i did un-pin thme and could have put them back backwards... (oops):loco i do not want to run a third light, or an after-market control module if i dont have to. there is a small black brick-like box up fornt that i assume is the signal control since the front signals connect directly to it.

anyway, i wired this thing up in a manner that made sense to me, with the brake wire connected to the red wire from the new lights, and the run wire split and ran together with the purple wire to the left, and the other split with the brown wire to the right, connecting to the black wire on the new lights on each side. the result was running lights good, brake lights good, but if i hit either turn signal i got hazard lights, (all flashing). i have tried every combination of wiring connection i can think of, and so many i cnanot begin to regurgitate them, and the best result i get is run good brake good, turn= hazards...:cussing

Is there a way to wire this thing so everything works as it should. my theory is that i should have to depress both turn signals to get hazards, since thats how it worked before i started the mod...:think

Thanks in advance

Nick

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
You will need to isolate the left and right "run" from the "signal" with diodes, so they do not "talk" to each other.

If you aren't up to it, get an aftermarket "box" or add another light, for either "run" or signal.

·
Retired citizen
23,201 Posts
The black box is a turn signal controller, there should be no other flasher in the circuit.
If the 4 ways come on when pushing either button that indicates one of the bulbs is out of the circuit or a bad ground to that light.
All violet wires are for the left signals and the brown are for the right.
The button wires opposite the violet and brown wires should go to B+.
For good schematics for the controller go to the Wire Plus website.

·
Amatuer Fab Guy
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The black box is a turn signal controller, there should be no other flasher in the circuit.
If the 4 ways come on when pushing either button that indicates one of the bulbs is out of the circuit or a bad ground to that light.
All violet wires are for the left signals and the brown are for the right.
The button wires opposite the violet and brown wires should go to B+.
For good schematics for the controller go to the Wire Plus website.
there is another flasher in the circuit... a round flasher like an older car would use. would that be an indiator that the turn signal controller is bad, and a PO installed the flasher as a cheap fix? thanks for the schematic source, my problem in the past with schematics though, is i dont know the exact year of this thing, and its hard to trust them... hopefully i'll find somehting though... i think im gonna be doing a lot more re-wiring...:cussing

Nick

·
Retired citizen
23,201 Posts
The electronic directional modules eliminate the mechanical flasher. Unplug the round flasher and put those two wires together and see what happens.
How many wires come out of the module you have and what are the colors ???

·
Retired citizen
23,201 Posts
Question. Can you determine if your "black box" is an OEM Harley part or aftermarket ?
Earlier Softails and Dynas did use an electronic TSM (turn signal module) plus a separate 4-way mechanical flasher. Aftermarket modules incorporated the 4-ways into the module.
The OEM Harley module is black and about the same size as a deck of cards. Aftermarket modules are smaller, about half the size of a pack of cigarettes and usually have a small LED indicator light.

·
Amatuer Fab Guy
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i took all the loom off the wiring harness, and everything seems to be as it should be... the module is the smaller size you described, half a cig box roughly... has a purple and brown wire on one end connecting to the purple and brown of the chassis harness. on the other end it has a black wire to ground. the flasher has one wire to battery, which is a part fo the harness i have already rebuilt. the wire is yellow, but that is surely not the right collor, since everything i took out was covered in tape schmutz, and unrecognizeable. the other flasher wire is the control wire, light green, which splits and goes to the switches. everything is pretty clean, and as long as i leave one input per bulb to my rear lights, everything works as it should.

I think i am just gonna leave it with turn and run in the two rear lights, and add a single license plate mount model a light for my brakes to get legal, and maintain my styling...i gotta mount the plate somewhere anyway... unless you guys know a simple and cheap way to get all three inputs to the 2 bulb rear lights i have.

·
Retired citizen
23,201 Posts
Check the Badlands website, they have modules that get the directionals to work as brake lights.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts