Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know if I can use 14ga copper strand wire to rewire my 1992 XL1200 Sportster lights, turn signals , brake and head light? I know that most people use 16ga but I have a lot of 14ga on hand. From Alaska Jim

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,958 Posts
You can use the 14ga in place of the 16. 14 will carry a bigger current load than the 16, so you will be ok.

·
Done
4,154 Posts
How about an introduction of yourself in the new to the community thread. It goes along way. The sight gets alot of 1 and dones. Get tech help and they're gone.

·
Registered
638 Posts
14 gauge wire is thicker than 16 gauge so you may have a problem threading it into the plastic connectors once you have soldered the terminals on the wire

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Using wire with more gauge within reason will always work with a lower gauge Same with house wiring. Never go from bigger to smaller gauge as it will become more like a fuse and Burn in a grounding situation. making the fuse Null and void

·
Registered
12 Posts
The 14ga will carry the load and then some. However your crimp connectors will be the larger blues and the sum will be a fat bundle... I went LED, dropped to 18ga, and used the red weatherproof butt splices that have shrink tubing integral to the connector. Makes for a nice tight bundle...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts