Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there everybody, quick question... Should the handle bars on my '98 xl1200 have any kind of back and forth flex to them? (as in the top rocks back and forth a bit and the bottom is a pivot), It's not much, maybe a 1/4 at most. It's not actually rocking in the clamps but the studs that go through the triple tree. I took a wrench to them and made sure the studs going through the tree were tight and sure enough they were snug as a bug. Just asking because it looks like there is some sort of rubber bushing inside that might be for vibration???

·
Registered
595 Posts
Do you have apes? If so then yes there will be some play due to leverage. If not then the bushings may need to be replaced. Use polyurithane they are more ridged then stock rubber ones.

Good luck.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Some play is normal, but make sure the bolts are tightened to spec. You sure don't want that connection failing!

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you remove the rubber isolation bushings you'll get rid of the play, it's just to absorb vibration for a more comfortable ride.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just went through this on my 86 FXRS-SP. The friend I purchased the bike from installed new factory rubber bushings. With the taller handle bars they quickly became as loose as before. They allowed the bars to rest toward the rear. Installed harder poly bushings and all is well. I might try the softer poly bushings next as my bars are not real tall or possibly mix the softer with harder ones at some point. Mine are taller than yours but not real extreme.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts