Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2006 Heritage Classic. I've recently noticed that when slowing to a stop or when stopped in 3rd, the bike won't downshift without first fully releasing the clutch lever each time. This gets annoying at a stoplight. Say I'm stopped in 3rd gear. I have to release the clutch and slightly excellerate before I can get it to downshift to 2nd, and the same goes with 1st. Also, if I'm in neutral and try to "ease it" into 1st, it wants to grind. I kinda have to pop it into 1st gear. It doesn't happen everytime I stop, but I'm afraid that it may point to something more serious.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
This is a normal condition for motorcycles.

You must pull in the clutch for each downshift, even if at a complete stop.

I'm not sure how long you have been riding but the proper way to slow down or stop is downshifting to match your speed so that if you need to unexpectedly accelerate you are already in the proper gear. It works out very well for safety and mechanically as well.

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
I've had this happen where my shift linkage needed adjusting.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Won't downshift

I've been riding for awhile. I do downshift when slowing, but when I come to 3rd or 2nd gear, it won't go into that gear (sometime 3rd, sometimes 2nd), and it doesn't happen every time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts