Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
HawgDawg
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopped on the 883 this morning, hit the freeway and she wouldn't go over 60. Twist the throttle any further and it's flat. Fuel line clogged?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
My dad's 04 sporty did this a few times on me, was fine until I got up to a faster speed. We found trash in the tank. disconnect all the lines on the tank (making sure to turn off the petcock) and then remove from the bike. Dump the gas into a bucket pouring through a filter to remove the trash. Remove your petcock and clean the filter, then cover the petcock hole with your finger or a rag, and pour clean gas into the tank; shake it and move it around and then pour the gas back in the bucket through the filter to keep the trash out. Do this until no trash comes out then put the clean gas back in the tank after re-install.

This was the fix for us.

·
Registered
39,541 Posts
Check float bowl for debris.

Give carb a good cleaning with spray carb cleaner.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Clean the Main Jet, Float bowl, Check the float level. (May be overloading) Peek inside with the Air Cleaner off to see a good stream push when you give it throttle. Change the plugs. (Plugs can work up to a certain PSI before cutting out) This may be the problem as well. Check hoses for cracks

·
Just Ride
3,259 Posts
Hopped on the 883 this morning, hit the freeway and she wouldn't go over 60. Twist the throttle any further and it's flat. Fuel line clogged?
Isn't that the top speed of a 883? Make sure your gas tank is venting properly.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
My 98 gave me a similar problem, check the screen in your tank, the base of mine cracked and was partially blocking fuel flow.

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
Could be your tank liner going bad. Had a buddy's go bad last year on his 95. When you go to checking things, if you have pieces of grayish blue stuff in there, it's the tank liner.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Get some gas line antifreeze and seafood and pour those in the tank. I had the same thing happen to me once and found it was bad gas.

·
Registered
39,541 Posts

·
Asylum Inmate
11,742 Posts
How much tuna treatment per gallon?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Lots of good ideas, Hopefully he comes back on and tells us what the issue turned out to be. Those of us on the Learning side of the curve like to hear from the "smart" guys

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
You can tune up the Harley but you Can't tunafish :thumb

·
Registered
168 Posts
You can tune up the Harley but you Can't tunafish :thumb
Wow.

Does it rev freely in neutral but just flattens out at 60?
I had a throttle cable that vibrated loose and decided to adjust its self where I could only get about 1/4 throttle. Took me a bit to figure out why I was running at prius speeds. Just an idea.

·
HawgDawg
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Problem solved. Low on fuel. Filled the tank and is o.k. now. Must have put the sediment back into suspension!!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts