Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everybody. my sportster wont start! when i hit the starter all i hear is a click. i was riding it and stalled out and after that it wouldnt start up again. i just hear a loud click everytime i hit the starter. Help please

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Welcome to the forum. When you get a chance introduce yourself.

You dont list what year bike you have but it sound like a dead battery. How old is it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh im sorry! i am just getting into the biking world. this is my first bike. its a 1982. when i try starting it the starter gives one click and doesnt turn over. the headlights stay on though

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Look at your battery conections and see if they're clean give then a quarter turn twist/tighten with a wrench and see if that helps.

·
Registered
39,572 Posts

·
I'm your huckleberry
3,010 Posts
Dieing and no restart sounds fishy. Does the headlight dim when you hit the starter button? A shorted battery can cause it to die. A charging problem could too. Battery ran down and bike dies but doesn't explain headlight. Check the voltage at the battery. Min 12.2 then check power at starter. Could be an ignition switch or just a bad starter but how did it die? Like shutting off the switch or running out of gas.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
It sounds like a problem with the starter.
A repeated click click click as long as the switch is engaged is a bad connection or a low battery charge.
One solid click when the button is pushed in is a bad connection through the solenoid or a bad starter.

·
Shovelhead
391 Posts
It sounds like a problem with the starter.
A repeated click click click as long as the switch is engaged is a bad connection or a low battery charge.
One solid click when the button is pushed in is a bad connection through the solenoid or a bad starter.
What he said sounds right to me. Good luck.:nod

·
Registered
2 Posts
'05 1200 XLC electrical problems?!?

hey everybody. my sportster wont start! when i hit the starter all i hear is a click. i was riding it and stalled out and after that it wouldnt start up again. i just hear a loud click everytime i hit the starter. Help please
My problems that I'm having seem similar but worse :( . I just purchased a new HD battery two days ago and I went to start my sportster after about a hour of riding. No luck....not even headlights! Heard the infamous click then nothing after that :pull. I received a jump from a friend and tried to make it home; it died while I was riding...all electrical power just went out. Tried to jump it again but it would not stay runinng after it was jumped. A friend put a volt meter on the battery and that was ok. In the end 8 buddies had to lift the sporty up into a truck to get it back to my house. Plz advise what the possible problems may be.

Thnx,
howardsmash30

1 - 10 of 10 Posts