Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay i am the proud new owner of a 1997 Sportster 1200 with 6578 miles on it. Although i had to trailer it home and after buying a new battery (thanks to all the help from the great people on this forum) the motor has turned over. So now before i crank it i plan on cleaning out the gas tank changing the oil and any other suggestions y'all have i will do. The bike has been sitting up for three years.
Thank You Again

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
Remove carb, disassemble, clean, put back together, reinstall.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,113 Posts
3 yrs... give them tires a good once over!
Also, may want to flush/ change brake fluid and then bleed.

Congrats and we like pics...

·
Poser Member # 99
17,549 Posts
Buy a Service Manual for it . check and replace all fluids and what every one else said. Clean tank buy a kit and clean carb , If you feel you can get a couple of cans of spray carb cleaner to blow out the little passage in the carb if you go thru it .

Start check for leaks and go and enjoy the Hell out it

Congrats on the new Bike :bikerguy:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It came with a service manual, windshield,two more seats, oil & filter. After i put the battery in and hear it turn over i really felt like i stole it.......Really got one hell of a deal.. as soon as i learn how to post pictures i will

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I bought my 02 like that, sat for several years. Buy 4 or 5 cans of seafoam (auto section at walmart) and put in both oil and gas. Even with new oil and gas, this will go through and clean it out really well. Also, With a new oil change, ride about 200 to 300 miles then change it. I didn't have to redo my carb, runs perfectly for me. But seriously, run seaform for a while, you won't be sorry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts