Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out that HD like some other good ol' American companies is hiring foreign workers on H-1D visas to work for less money and replacing American workers with them. And, the kicker, the American worker has to train his replacement before being let go or lose his severance pay.

What's up with this?

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Wouldn't doubt it but this is the first I've heard of it. Where did you see this. If its true ill be sending the moco a letter letting them know I'm very displeased and will probably look at there competition for my future bike. Can you please post a link to where you found this info. Thanks

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Heard/read the same thing somewhere.
Unions or not, no real big surprise anymore. Companies do what they feel they need to do to keep up and improve the bottom line.
For the Unions it means either allowing it to happen, or possibly, having the plant close and losing all the jobs.
Sucks. But just the way it is.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,956 Posts
I guess HD needs the extra cash. The local stealer told me the other day that the just retired CEO of HD cashed in all of his stock and it was in the billions of bucks. Hard figure to believe, but I keep hearing it's true.

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
I guess HD needs the extra cash. The local stealer told me the other day that the just retired CEO of HD cashed in all of his stock and it was in the billions of bucks. Hard figure to believe, but I keep hearing it's true.
I do`t doubt it.
HD is not hurting. They have not survived all these years by making stupid business decisions.
Side note. Like it or not. AMF can be thanked in part for their survival.

When you hear all the gloom and doom about a companies profits being down. It just usually means they did not make what was expected. But you can bet they still made a profit.

I only worry when it is said they are operating "at a loss".

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Evidence? Link to story? Or more troll BS?:think

·
Registered
42,085 Posts
Cite your sources for this info, or this thread goes into the twilight zone.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Unfortunately its true ! And the man behind the big push is "GOOGLE EXECUTIVE CHAIRMAN........Eric Schmidt" ! Its called , the "H-1B" debacle !

·
Registered
186 Posts
My understanding is that there are 3 different unions representing the MoCo employees. Doesn't seem possible that this would fly.
As a union member for the past 18 yrs (UTU 781 & BLET 599), and a union officer for the past several years I can see where the unions can only do so much.

Unions are only as strong as their weakest member. You'd think that it would be obvious that they would need to stick together to prevent stuff like this, but I see everyday where a single person can help create the toe hold that the companies need to bust the unions and get what they want.

just my two cents worth.

Exco

·
Rocker Chik
3,317 Posts
This article from USA Today, may be the issue at hand.

Backlash stirs against foreign worker visas

I really don't like where things are headed with so many companies outsourcing their tech centers to India and elsewhere. We have so many Americans out of work, myself included, that are very skilled in their respective areas. There is a trickle down affect in play and is very concerning.

·
Official Forum [email protected]
3,582 Posts
It's been discussed that the cures to these issues are doable but at a cost...American workers need more money to do the same job foreign workers don't . Are we willing/able to work for $5/hour or less ? Whole bunch of problems go hand in hand with this . Cost of living being the biggest...so now what ?

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
I believe in tariffs on incoming products to make it feasible for goods to be manufactured here in the USA again. That will result in higher cost of toys and TV's etc, but we had a better life style in the 50's & 60's and with only one parent having to work. (I remember paying $360.00 for a 13 inch color TV. In those days one could live on $80.00/week including a mortgage. The $360.00 had to be borrowed. No credit cards back then other than Diner's Club & American Express which had to be paid off at the end of the month) My new sportster was $1800 and I had to borrow for that too.

The outsourcing of jobs have left us with a growing unemployed pool and lower effective wages for those that are working. The $400 TV is now a 60 inch HD flat screen and the 13 inch is now 17 and costs under $100.

With tariffs on incoming goods, the companies that are currently outsourcing to improve bottom line, won't have to. (prices will go up, but so will earned incomes and would tend to balance out)
Outsourcing services i.e. tech support may have to have government taxes on services purchased outside the US in order for American firms to be able to hire domestically. Consumer prices will go up, but so will American worker's pay to balance out.

Just musing. . . . I may be wrong. Not sure I like the concept of more government watching and controlling either but free trade has cost a lot of American jobs. (made a lot of millionaires too)

·
Registered
110 Posts
It's not. In the last year, the largest trade was by Keith Wandell of 69,545 shares worth $4.4M. He was listed as CEO at the time of the trade. This amounts to nothing in the scheme of things and didn't affect the stock at all. I didn't check all trades, just the insider activity.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I've read articles about companies hiring skilled foreign workers via H-1B visa program...

Backlash stirs against foreign worker visas

I don't know Harley's financial situation but I don't think any company makes the decision to outsource operations to or hire employees from other countries unless there is a strong economic/business incentive to do so. Harley does have an "American made" reputation to uphold so a decision to outsource or hire using the H-1B program is probably not something done lightly.

I've worked in the electronics industry for 40 years and we have seen MASSIVE changes over that time with respect to where products are made. There are "U.S." companies that would no longer exist but for outsourcing some element of their production as the global economy has developed and foreign competition has become more fierce. Each situation has to be looked at individually with decisions made based on productivity and competitiveness.

If the article is true with respect to saving $10,000 by hiring an H-1B worker (here legally) one question to consider is how the $10,000 saved benefitted the company. I seriously doubt there are any companies competing in a global marketplace that do not participate in outsourcing to some degree.

The reality is the largest growth markets on the planet, whether you're talking about cellphones, cars or motorcycles, are not within the U.S. The idea that we could have maintained the type of dominance we enjoyed in the 1950's and '60's is a total myth. There are 6 billion other people on the planet hoping to someday buy their first cellphone, computer, motorcycle and rent an apartment with indoor plumbing. Their kids go to school 10 hours a day, six days a week and work part-time jobs afterwards.....

O.k., enough of my rant. The bottom line is I don't know why Harley made this decision but I won't bash them off the cuff without knowing more about the why this decision was made. Based on this info from another article there seems to be more to it, one point being she was not actually an HD employee but worked for a contractor...

Kelly Parker, who is part of the federal lawsuit, told USAToday that she was laid off in 2013 after she trained her replacement for the tech support position by a person from India. Officials with Harley said Parker never worked directly for Harley, but instead worked for a third-party contractor that performed IT work for Harley internally before they hired Infosys to outsource the work.

Two years ago, Harley-Davidson announced its plan to contract with Infosys to expand its new delivery center in Milwaukee. The center also included a training center to educate employees on information technology operations and business processes. At the time, Infosys had 17 locations and the center was expected to train 125 people, but that month Harley laid off 125 of its employees and of those, 83 were expected to have “preferential consideration” for Infosys jobs.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I think that's our biggest problem with companies today. There was a time when you worked for Harley or IBM and that company hired all employee for everything that needed to be done within the company. Now they outsource to whoever can give them the cheapest labor so that they can give there CEO and stockholders bigger paydays. The company's don't care how it gets done just that it gets done for the cheapest price so they make more money. At one time when you went to work for a company it was for your entire career as long as you performed your job to the companies expectations. I try to buy American when ever possible but these days it is getting almost I possible to do so. Hell try to go into a gas station or convenient store and find it owned by someone that isn't sending the money back home to a foreign country. I have gas stations her that I haven't been to since 911 because the foreigners were in the parking lot rejoicing when the towers came down. Sorry that was the wrong subject.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Here's the deal on H-1B visas. US companies, or foreign owned companies operating in the US (as is the case with Infosys), use the whole "can't get qualified workers in the US so I need to get a bunch of H-1B visas approved so I can bring in workers from" somewhere. The Mo-Co probably didn't know that this was going to happen when they set up the contract with Infosys. If we all write to the Mo-Co and complain about it, we might make a difference.

The reality is that the workers coming from India or other countries filling the H-1B visa slots and taking American worker jobs are paid less and worked harder and longer (for no additional pay) under the threat of termination and getting kicked back to India or wherever they came from. And, they aren't any better skilled or trained than the US workers they replace. They are slammed through some cheesy training programs and get the H-1B access because they know someone or pay someone off.

I knew similar workers at Microsoft, Google, Amazon and other places in the Seattle area. Their families never saw them, they were always at work and totally stressed out. They are salaried, so no overtime. But they work 60 to 70 hours a week and can't say a word about it. It is another kind of human trafficking and the US Government is participating in it.

The claimed need for hiring these barely trained workers via the H-1B visa program is a complete load of bull$417. Every H-1B worker I knew was holding a job that could have been filled by hundreds of more qualified and capable US workers, in every case, and in all positions.

But, your congresspeople (Reps and Senators) firmly believe that it is the best way to bring jobs back to the US. Right. And I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale.

I recently tried to share the reality with a US Rep and Senator from our state and got a load of BS excuses from them in return. They are bought and paid for and this program will likely never go away until we, the people, wise up and vote those creeps out.

Sorry, this is a hot-button issue for me.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Oh yeah, every time I write our senators, I get a load of fertilizer back. It's time for both of them to GO!

·
Registered
25,246 Posts
Caterpillar Hires H-1B Foreign Graduates, Fires 300 American Professionals - Breitbart

Caterpillar is firing 300 American employees in Mossville, Illinois, even though it is continuing to recruit and pay foreign “H-1B” guest-workers to do the white-collar jobs sought by American professionals in the United States.

Caterpillar’s combination of white-collars layoffs and H-1B outsourcing matches the much-criticized decision by Carrier, a company in next-door Indiana, to outsource 1,400 blue-collar factory jobs to Mexico.

Outsider GOP candidate Donald Trump has vigorously denounced the outsourcing by Carrier’s air-conditioning business. His opposition has helped him get a nine-point polling advantage in the state. But Trump’s support for major reforms to the H-1B program to reduce the outsourcing of professional jobs is raising his support among upper-income professional-class voters in many other states.

·
Comfortably Numb
1,152 Posts
Cut back foreign aid by 60%, downsize government by 35%, cut taxes by 50%, deport all illegal immigrants and put a 10 year moratorium on all immigration then native born American citizens would be able to take advantage of all the benefits that this country was designed to provide.

Government has grown to the point that its only concern is benefiting itself. Other countries take our money which should be going to Americans in need, then curse us and trample our flag. Taxes have increased to the point that many Americans simply can no longer afford to work! Also, there was a time that America needed immigrants because they offered skills, labor and the desire to improve the quality of life for themselves and for others but those days are gone. The immigrant of today doesn't give a fat rats ass about America. They just come here to take and offer nothing in return except crime, poverty and a depletion of resources intended for decent American citizens.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts