Harley Davidson Forums banner

Would like my daughter to be able to ride with me.

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Jeffdag 
#1 ·
I have two special needs daughters...one is much more special needs than the other. Daughter number one (12 years old) has a learning disability, and it doesn't hinder her from riding with me. In fact, she's probably the best passenger I've ever had riding on a bike.

Second daughter (11 years old) is another story. She has atonic epilepsy and has over a hundred seizures a day. And this is way down from 300 to 500/day that she used to have. That's because she has had both brain surgery and a Vagal Nerve Stimulator (VNS) implanted to try to reduce the seizures. Brain surgery was in November of '09 and VNS was implanted September of '14.

I know this is all a bunch of gobblty-**** to get to this--are there any suggestions on how I could have her ride behind me? Bear in mind that her brain age is that of about a 2 year old. I rode behind the family in the car today, and she went WILD with laughter, and would try to turn completely around in her car seat, straining to see me. This was for 10 miles+!

Anyway, I have an '09 Night Train with foot pegs all around. Do any of you have any thoughts on how I could strap her to me and the footpegs so she wouldn't fall off, or put her foot on the pipes, or just drag her feet in general.

I don't plan on taking her for long rides if it's able to be done. Just a mile or two here and there.

Help me out with any ideas if you can think of anything.

See less See more
#2 ·
My wife is a teacher of special needs children (Junior High level) With strapping her to you like that your taking a big risk.
Might I suggest this take her horse back riding on a gentle pony and see how she does a few times before you put her behind her and strap her down.
It doesn't take much to go down on a bike, you know this. If the horse thing works then try the bike

#3 ·
I know my kids are on cloud nine after and during a ride. My middle son has ocd and ADHD and loves getting in the wind. He is as tall as me so no problem there. Now my youngest, he's just a cross between the energizer bunny and TAZ. Get him on the bike and he's the calmest kid on the planet. He's only 9 though and small for his age. I have him put his feet on my saddle bags and hang on to me. No more than around the block for him though.

Good luck with it. A sidecar would be the ticket.

#13 ·
How about renting a Trike? No chance of going down and a lot more width for a passenger base. Straps would seem to make more sense on that than on a two-wheeler. Not cheap, but affordable on occasion to give her the experience.

--

#15 ·
I work with alter able adults and have thought of a side car for wheelchairs. There is a small shop in this area that builds choppers for handicapped people sometimes. Mostly wounded veterans. If you want I can get their information for you.
Bought my sportsters drag bars from him, when I asked how much he looked in a JP catalog and I was thinking yikes. He came back with "how about twelve bucks and bring your old bars back to me".
Anyway I've been wanting to go see him, its been awhile.
He was working on a trike for a paraplegic last time I was there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.