Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kinda annoyed.. I put a brand new wheel, wheel bearing and tire on the deuce about a month ago. After only 300 miles I have a ticking sound coming from the rear wheel. I can hear it over my pipes so I know it's loud. Between 10 and 30 miles an hour it almost sounds like someone dropping pebbles on to my lower belt guard. The frequency of the sound is not uniform but appears to be random. I considered the possibility that I had debris somewhere around the rear pulley that may have been bouncing around between the upper and lower belt guards. If I tap the belt God with a Phillips head it makes a very similar sound. I installed this wheel by the book belt deflection is to spec. axle assembly went in just fine and a sports to spec at 60 ft/lbs. The bearing was installed in the wheel by a very competent individual.. Today I loosen my belt from the recommended 3/8 inch deflection do about three quarter inch deflection with no change. I also decreased my rear axle torque value to 55 lb/ft and the change in sound was only negligible. It is not until I go below 25 ft / lbs that's the sound disappears. Again this rear wheel bearing is a month old with less than 300 miles on it..

Thanks, Pete

·
HowardH
109 Posts
Can't say for sure, but bearings often have a clicking noise when bad.
Even new, could've been defective. And when you loosen the axle torque it disappears........hmmm?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Bad bearing. Take the wheel off and rotate the bearing with your fingers. See if you can feel any gritty spots. If so, bad.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
My vote is bearing too.. check to see that the bearing has been seated, also there's a possibility the outer case got dented, which will cause binding/noise, if its dented on the inside, you'll never see it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Wheel bearings, might as well just replace them!

·
Registered
62 Posts
is there a "spacer" located inside the wheel hub, between the right and left bearing ?
if so, perhaps the clearances between the bearings and it are not correct (too great) and the latteral torque is causing the bearing(s) to run out of it's designed path between the inner and outter race ???

idk. i have never had the wheels off my fatboy. but this design is used on my mx bike

·
Retired citizen
23,188 Posts
Lift the rear wheel off the ground and give it a couple of spins by hand. If it's a bad bearing it'll be apparent.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts