Harley Davidson Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
There is no siphoning effect, or any complicated event going on between the two tanks.

There is a crossover hose at the front lower part of the tanks, and a crossover vent hose at the top of the tanks.

This allows the level in the tanks to remain equal, whether the caps are vented or not.

The level in the tanks stays the same as they empty out.

The only reason the left cap is not vented is so that it does not leak when the tanks are full and the bike is on the jiffy stand.
Since both caps are vented, this is the main problem.
Unfortunately, I have a tank bung setup that only accepts flush mounted aricraft style caps.
It's on an after market stretched tank. With Drag Specialty "95mm Vented Aero Gas Cap"
And they do not make a Non-Vented cap at all. (Drag really f*cked up by not providing both options.)

AERO CAP 95MM VENTED | Products | Drag Specialties®

So, I guess the answer is: only remove and fill the left tank while it is resting tilted on the stand.
I also guess there is no reason to ever open the right side tank.

It appears the level shifts too much on the lower than normal kickstand and this overflow seeps thought the left side vent.

·
Registered
38,096 Posts
That I couldn't tell you. Not familiar with what you have.

You would have to measure the bolt hole pattern on yours then find a non vented one that matches.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
There is no siphoning effect, or any complicated event going on between the two tanks.

There is a crossover hose at the front lower part of the tanks, and a crossover vent hose at the top of the tanks.

This allows the level in the tanks to remain equal, whether the caps are vented or not.

The level in the tanks stays the same as they empty out.

The only reason the left cap is not vented is so that it does not leak when the tanks are full and the bike is on the jiffy stand.
The answer is to put the proper non-vented cap on so you can fill the tank to capacity.
To solve the problem, I have to get a non-vented cap on the left tank.
I did a lot of research and I am having trouble finding a 95mm Aircraft style "NON-Vented" cap.

JP Cycles has the same one I have (both vented).
I thought I found some, but turns out they are smaller (92mm)

It seems impossible to find a set that will fit and come in both vented and non-vented.
I don't care if it's locking or not. If it were my choice I would love Black ones that are not locking.
Looks like I'm stuck with just filling the left side tank.

Big thanks to all the advice. You guys have been great!

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Plug the vent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38,096 Posts

·
Retired citizen
22,873 Posts
The vent is part of the cap. Put your lips up against the cap and suck or blow to see if the vent works. If it works it's on the wrong (left) side of the tank. Vented cap is always on the right tank with split fat tanks. Left cap is sealed.
IMO, don't let anyone see you sucking on your gas cap !

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
IMO, don't let anyone see you sucking on your gas cap !

Suck, blow ...

Does anybody fvk anymore??

--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 34 of 34 Posts