Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried riding my bike to work this morning. Just put 200+ miles on it last weekend to and from Laconia! I got all leathered up and go out to start my bike. Took quite a few try to get her started, just thought it was because it was sitting for a week?

I go down my road to head to work, about 2 miles down the road I hear 4 bangs that i Chit you not, sounded like a 12ga going off right behind my head and then loss of ALL power! Felt like i dropped a piston because motor had no compression. Started pushing it home and tried starting it for shits and giggles, fired up and a half mile later, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, NO POWER!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I rebuilt the carb last weekend. The bike ran phenominal last weekend, couldnt run better!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pull the plugs, look them over, Do a compression test.

Has any other "work" been done aside from the carb?
no, i just put new plugs in it, took a compression test 2 months ago (no riding since then) had between 90-95lbs per cylinder. But after this i sure will take a compression test tonight! What are the symptoms of a bent valave (with out nowing the compression as of today)?

·
Registered
313 Posts
If float is sticking could dump gas on piston an fill base. Gets hot ignites bang. Never had happen on bike but big 20 plus horsepower gas engine. Just a thought

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If float is sticking could dump gas on piston an fill base. Gets hot ignites bang. Never had happen on bike but big 20 plus horsepower gas engine. Just a thought
Would that cause the bike to shut off? After the bangs the bike shot off, hyrolocked with fuel in the jug because the float stuck?

·
Super Moderator
4,280 Posts
Could the timing be loose? Mine had a hell of a time when my timing adjustment was loose. The flames coming out the pipes looked bad ass but totally not worth it.

·
Red and White
2,237 Posts
"WTF Why cant i catch a break!"

IRONHEAD SPORTSTER.... That's why. I have one too so I'm not hating on them. Just saying.

-Rohan

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"WTF Why cant i catch a break!"

IRONHEAD SPORTSTER.... That's why. I have one too so I'm not hating on them. Just saying.

-Rohan
Timing? Float sticking? anything else? I am so at loss with this damn bike!

·
Red and White
2,237 Posts
I would start with timing. Go ahead and tear the carb down too and make sure everything is still right in there. Just start with the simplest thing and go from there. Eventually you should rule it out. If you don't have a manual I suggest getting one.

-Rohan

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would start with timing. Go ahead and tear the carb down too and make sure everything is still right in there. Just start with the simplest thing and go from there. Eventually you should rule it out. If you don't have a manual I suggest getting one.

-Rohan
im not doubting it could be timing, but, how could it run PERFECT last sunday, and when i go to start it up this morning NOTHING! Runs like shit!? I have not started it since i parked it when i got back from a 200+ mile ride last sunday. Just doesnt make scense?

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
im not doubting it could be timing, but, how could it run PERFECT last sunday, and when i go to start it up this morning NOTHING! Runs like shit!? I have not started it since i parked it when i got back from a 200+ mile ride last sunday. Just doesnt make scense?
I once had a cage that spun the distributor, one bang she was done. Put it back, ran like a champ. Anyhow, you might have two things going here, timing one, fuel the other. Could it be possible your float is sticking, as the carb is filling the engine it begins to run like crap, the extra fuel finally hits a point of ignition... I know I'm really reaching but a stuck float will make the bike run like crap till something happens. My sporty would just start running like crap as fuel was getting dumped out of the overflow.

·
Retired citizen
23,188 Posts
If it runs good cold and then bad when hot the valve guides could be carboned up. When that happens the guide swells up and clamps down on the valve stem and the valve can't seat. That's when the back fires occur.
Common on the Ironheads.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Need to figure out gas on top of piston = bent connecting rod or worse. If when u start she acts like battery is low don't force it. Remove plugs an spin motor see if she blows gas if it does deffinitely the float or carb problem.

·
nitro freak
1,264 Posts
since you just rebuilt the carb,ide be making sure all the parts are still in the carb.make sure something didnt come loose & get ingested into the motor

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
since you just rebuilt the carb,ide be making sure all the parts are still in the carb.make sure something didnt come loose & get ingested into the motor
Good suggestion from Kirby, and I'll add to check all electrical connections.
Scott
Well over the weekend i got the bike to run OK? The set screws on the carb keeps backing out, the on to control the idel. The float did stick! Took a screw driver handle and tapped on the bowl. Freed right up! I hate this carb and i think it needs to be replaced!

·
Red and White
2,237 Posts
Well over the weekend i got the bike to run OK? The set screws on the carb keeps backing out, the on to control the idel. The float did stick! Took a screw driver handle and tapped on the bowl. Freed right up! I hate this carb and i think it needs to be replaced!

S&S Super E or Mikuni HSR 42

Easy, reliable. Just my opinion.

-Rohan

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Trying to find one for cheap $$, i got this and my Powerstroke that im building ontop of trying to buy a Bagger!

·
Maddog
394 Posts
You might be able to find a stock CV carb on flea-bay cheap. Lots of folks take them
off thinking they hurt performance. I picked one up for $50 a couple years ago.

Otherwize, get yourself a HSR42 Mikuni EZ-kit.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts