Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked through some old motorcycle mags and see what they called bobbers

On craigslist see all kinds of import hack jobs and half done being called bobbers

Some are asking crazy high price tags

I didn't bother to post any findings, seen a couple 81 cb 650's hacked up and poorly done

Price: one was $5800 and other had a plastic gas tank off a dirtbike and asking $4250 and said it needed little TLC and tires

Is this the way it is

Cause I'll buy every $150 to $400 import hack it up and put a bicycle seat on it and ask $2500 for it :laugh

·
Registered
89 Posts
It is a certain type of motorcycle that was popular in ye olden tymes and which is sorta popular now. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobber_(motorcycle)

Some people put lots of money in them and expect to get it all back, but no one wants a rattle-can POS with tape around the pipes, a bicycle seat, no fender, etc etc etc.

See also: cafe racer.

May be fun to build and own a nice example of either, but the sellers need to realize no one is going to give much for one--not anything close to what it would take to build a nice one.

·
Registered
43,154 Posts
Originally it was a bike that anything that was not necessary was bobbed off.....

·
Registered
265 Posts
It can also be an FXDB or HD Street Bob. Test drove one and I was hooked. Thinking about getting longer apes.

I now realize that if I would've kept my 883 Iron, I would've bobbed it up.

·
Registered
43,154 Posts
:dunno Gas Monkey didn't chop it. Not even the same frame. Original was swingarm, new is hard tail.

·
Registered
43,154 Posts
Looks like they just used the motor and modified it.
I don't see anything else that started out as original.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
The language evolves over time. Chopped used to mean a modified frame, raked, etc.
Bobber is a relatively new term. People used to "bob" the fender, cut it short.

In the same way, people have now confused the terms rigid and hardtail. A rigid frame is just that, a frame with no rear suspension. A hardtail use to be an add-on rear section used to turn a swingarm frame into a rigid.

On the red and white genie shovel above, if you look around the steering head, it does look like a modified (chopped) factory frame. Still, it's a shame to take such a complete looking bike and do that to it.

·
"Ain't quite right"™
2008 VRSCDX 2019 FXDR
11,273 Posts
"Less is more"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts