Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Still no Harley but working on one.
I ride whenever I can. Took trip from Falls Church VA to Jackson Hole WY last summer. I'st day ride was 890 miles on a sportbike and took 5 min to stand up. I ride a ZX14 Kawasaki and love the bike. Have a Ducati Diavel, first twin and love the bike. Have yet to go on a long trip with it but going to upstate NY soon as soon as no salt on the road.
Heard about 1999 Harley Davidson FLSTC Heritage Softail with ~19,000 miles that has been sitting since 2008 in a garage. Gas tank is empty. Read about the evo engine and sounds like it's time to jump in.
What am I getting into with this one? What's the first thing I should do to get this going? Is this going to be leaking out of every seal/gasket since it's not run since the 2008?. Assume carbs need rebuild or just spray on cleaner? Fork seals? Or should I just spend a bit more and get one that is a runner instead of guessing?
Fill me in and thanks.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
Welcome from VA!

·
2,327 Posts
Welcome from New Hampshire. To your question...How much can you steal it for? I think you've answered most of your own questions.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Waco, TX. I am not a mechanic but I know the worst thing for any vehicle is to sit for long periods of time without running. (Don't ask how I know this!) Unless you really like working on the bike more than riding it, I would probably look for another bike. There are lots of good deals out there that would be less headaches.

·
Registered
7,427 Posts
Welcome from the capital city.

I agree with what others have said. For your first Harley, I would think that you would want to be riding it more than wrenching it. Plenty of good deals to be found that will put you in the saddle and loving life all the more.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
pass

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Dutchess county N.Y.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Welcome from upstate NY.

Check for leaks first. If it looks like gaskets are leaking then check and tighten the bolts to the proper torque. If it's not leaking don't tighten the bolts just because, as that might stress the old gaskets just enough to cause a leak.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts