Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I knew of the limited visibility rear view mirrors before I bought my XG750, but it has turned out to be a bigger problem to solve than I imagined. At first I tried to buy long stem mirrors from Harley. One of them, I don't remember if it is the left or right, has been discontinued. Scratch that idea.
Next, I bought Kuryakyn Industrial mirrors. They have the longer stems, but required special adapter bolts for the bastard XG mirror mounts. With these installed, the mirrors, especially the left one, still cannot be moved upward enough to give me a decent rear view.
I could solve this by moving the clutch perch down, which rotates the mirror mount up, but then the clutch lever is in an uncomfortable position.
I know others have had this problem, but how did you deal with it?

·
Registered
38,855 Posts
Mount the mirrors upside down so that you look under your arms rather than look at your shoulders.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's not an option on the XGs. The mirrors mount like on a Japanese bike: Threaded holes on the lever perches.
I was hoping someone would tell me to buy a new perch from X model bike.
Thanks,
Doug

·
Asylum Inmate
11,654 Posts
I added a set of mirror extensions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Going to solve the problem with the extensions. (NOTE: The extension is available on eBay for $12.95) The bolt that comes with it is not compatible with the XG. A trip to Home Depot fixes that problem: (2) 5/16x24x1 bolts, (2) 5/16 x 24 nuts, (2) 5/16x1/4 spacer, (4) 5/16 split washers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know this is kind of an old thread now, but just in case anyone else is still looking for a solution...I bought a set of cheap metric mirrors with the long stems for my wife's XG750.

They were 8mm I believe. I used a tap and die set to rethread them and put some Loctite on the threads once they were rethreaded and she had them positioned where she was happy with them.

I got the mirrors from Ebay for less than $20. (Note: We put them in a vice and straightened the stems a bit, so they are sticking up pretty high now too.)

She says that she can actually see what is behind her now.

Your mileage may vary, but it was a cheap fix and they don't look bad at all. If anyone is interested, send me a message and I'll get some pics of them on the bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts