Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This post may become a little long, but I think that all the information is pertinent to get a good answer.

Rebuilt the carberutor this past Saturday. Replaced the seals on the intake manifold (all 3) Replaced the piston in the carb. Replaced the seals on the exhaust

I put everything back together, with a new battery, new plugs, new spark plug wires. Started the bike and it was blowing black smoke. I immediately knew the bike was running too rich. I took the carb back apart and find, due my stupid mistake, I put the footer on the piston, before the pin, which my thought is the pin was not seating in the main jet hole as needed and that is why it was running so rich.

I put the carb back on, and now the bike won't start. Battery volts are at 12-13, new gas. When I hit the starter switch I hear a fast click from the starter, and a real Throaty sound from the exhaust, but it just won't turn over.

I'm wondering if there is a problem iwth the vacuum to the Carb, since the piston is vacuum operated.

Any thoughts would be great as I am at a loss of what to do next.

·
Retired citizen
22,068 Posts
Measure the battery volts, should be no less than 12.8v.
You stated you got a throaty sound from the pipes so I'm assuming the engine is cranking over. If you removed the main jet and the needle jet fell out you may have re-installed it upside down ! Look through the carb throat where the slide needle goes into the needle jet. The top of the jet should be tapered where the needle goes into it, not flat across the top. If it's flat the jet is in upside down.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I apologize for the wrong use of words when writing my description. To me, it sounded throaty but no, it wasn't running, it wouldn't start. The throaty sound i heard was air through the pipes and the air filter.

Battery was at 13.1 today when I rebuilt the carb again today, I changed a couple of things. One, the needle jet, nor the jets were in wrong, but I had a 45 pilot jet and a 175 main jet for some reason, must have been the shop that worked on my bike years ago. I changed out the pilot to a 48 today and put a 160 main back in the carb. I had vacuum pressure in the piston this time as I figured out the needle problem too.

Here is what is happening now: I put everything back, the bike fired up but kept dying on me. The choke cable was the only thing getting the bike going, if I turned the throttle, the bike would die. I know the idle adjustment screw is about 1 1/2 turns right now.

I was able to get the bike started, but it wouldn't stay running, now I can't get it to start again. Still at a loss. :(

·
Retired citizen
22,068 Posts
Is the petcock vacuum line connected to the carb and the VOES ?
With the fuel line disconnected from the carb does gas flow when cranking the engine ?
Also are the coils connected to the correct cylinder plug wires ? The single fire ignition on the "S" has to fire the correct cylinder or you'll get a lot of popping but the engine wont start.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only thing really stock on the bike is the motor, tranny, carb and front end. The gas tank and petcock don't have a vacuum line connection anymore. Gas does flow when cranking the engine. Coils are connected to the right cylinders.

I'm glad you're giving me a checklist to check. Hopefully I can find the problem throughout this.

·
Retired citizen
22,068 Posts
Pop the cover off the ignition pickup and watch to see if the LED flashes when cranking the engine. If it doesn't flash or is erratic the pickup is bad or there's a wiring problem. If it looks like it's melted replace it.

·
Retired citizen
22,068 Posts
Under the round cover on the cam cover right below the air cleaner !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, that's what I thought, got it running today. The ignition pickup seemed to be working fine. I did get the bike to run today. Now I just need to adjust the throttle to the right idle and I think I'm good to go. Thanks for the help Schmidtys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts