Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been covered some where here but I can't find it. I want to hook up my xm radio and wonder where the best place to put the antenna and where to hook up the power. The owners manual says not use the cig lighter. I am mounting it on my EG classic. any thoughts?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I mounted my antenna right behind the windshield, just cut a teeny groove so the wire wouldn't get pinched.
I made a little bracket to hold the xm snap unit I already had and then wired it all in under the switch cover by the key, I added a marine cig socket into that plastic and wired in since I couldn't come up with a good way to get power.
I used power cables like on my snowmobile for the heated shield that look like an RCA plug.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
I did not like the location under the fairing that they recommend with the separate bracket, it wasn't getting the best reception there. I mounted mine on the back side of my GPS mount behind the windshield. This is not a HD mount, it's a two pouch GPS mount by T&T Fabrications.

The XM antennae is mounted on the backside of the GPS mount.

Shot from front of bike.

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
I put my ant.in the tour pac...and hot wire. Under seat..

·
Registered
222 Posts
Mine works fine under the fairing on top of the radio. Also wired in under the fairing.

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
I mounted my antenna right behind the windshield, just cut a teeny groove so the wire wouldn't get pinched.
I made a little bracket to hold the xm snap unit I already had and then wired it all in under the switch cover by the key, I added a marine cig socket into that plastic and wired in since I couldn't come up with a good way to get power.
I used power cables like on my snowmobile for the heated shield that look like an RCA plug.
What is that blue gas jug? I never saw one that color.

·
Bird Whisperer
1,742 Posts
I did not like the location under the fairing that they recommend with the separate bracket, it wasn't getting the best reception there. I mounted mine on the back side of my GPS mount behind the windshield. This is not a HD mount, it's a two pouch GPS mount by T&T Fabrications.

Shot from front of bike.

Thanks for that info. I've got the same bags on my Ultra. When I'm ready to set up XM I'll keep that in mind.

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts

Shot from front of bike.

Just wondering what kinda of xm set you have that will show the stations on the stock radio...i like that...

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
Cool Iam going to look into that....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts