Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I woke up in Las Vegas, NV at 400am (PST) and went to bed (in my own bed) in Lincoln, NE @ 1110pm (PST). Yup, 1,234 miles in 19 hours and 10 minutes.

I have always thought about attempting an Iron Butt run and I needed to get home; thought this was a good opportunity. Prior to this the longest ride I have completed in one day was 705 miles (Lincoln, NE to Memphis, TN).

The trip started out great. The entire ride through UT was incredible. That state has so much gorgeous terrain. I can always enjoy all areas in UT.

About the time I was nearing Silverthorne, CO I noticed the sky was ALL grey. I kept riding and about 10 minutes later it was starting to sprinkle. I pulled over and put on the rain gear. Within 5 minutes it was pouring rain as I was in the middle of traffic in the twisties as I made my way down the mountains. It just got better, the rain reduced visibility to nothing and it turned to pea-sized hail. The best part, ABS worked GREAT. A midst the hail traffic suddenly slammed to a halt. Given I wasn't anywhere I could pull off I was at the mercy of Mother Nature and the Road Angels. :icon_bowrofl: I avoided hitting anything as I sat in grid-lock while the hail beat the snot out of me.

Once out of the hail I managed the rain best I could only to get hung up in the rush hour traffic as I attempted to make my way through Denver, CO. Once again I found myself sitting in grid-lock; I hate rain.

About 30 miles outside of Denver, CO the sky was clear and the sun was out. This was good, however I wasn't planning to stop for several miles...so I continued on with the rain gear SWEATING A LOT!! A quick stop in Fort Morgan and I ditched the rain gear.

I made it to North Platte, NE at 750pm (PST) and decided to take a little longer break as this would be my last stop before pulling into my driveway. I felt good and knew I could make the miles without issue, at this point I had traveled approximately 1000 miles. I called the wife and let her know I would be home in a few hours. What I didn't count on is how quickly it became dark - this added a whole new level of stress. At 43 years old, well, my night vision is crap compared to what it was when I was younger.

After a few phone calls and text message I headed out. Lets just say I did as much as I could to remain VERY focused on the road in front of me. Not going to mislead anyone, I have been riding a bike since I was 4, but I was a bit nervous knowing I needed to cover a couple hundred miles in the dark; this certainly was an unfamiliar feeling - I generally am not very nervous while on my bikes.

The remaining ride was fairly uneventful until the last 65 miles; lets just say my body said it was ready to STOP riding the bike. Man, muscles in the center of my back (that support your arms up as you hold the handlebars) were throbbing SO BAD. Normally dropping an arm for a short while resolves the pain fairly quickly, but not now. There was NOTHING I could do to stop the throbbing pain. Not to mention my ass and knees were at the end of there rope. I am in fairly good shape, but too many knee surgeries (moto-x accidents) were taking their toll.

Bottom line is I made it in one piece and glad I did it. I always wanted to run an Iron Butt. I realize this may not meet the requirements needed for an official document, but I know what I accomplished. Maybe some other time I'll do another long day and make sure to get a witness for the start and end of the trip for the official stuff.

·
Rider
1,541 Posts
You have a better ass than me. I just can't imagine riding that far, that long. Maybe 30 years ago.

Good to hear your home safe.

·
Turgid Member
1,248 Posts
:notworthy

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
I always get jealous when I hear about iron butt rides.
I wanna do one so bad, but I dunno if I can.

I know that is the point, duhh, but I feel like I gotta work up to it more...

Anyway, Congrats and consider this. You did 200 miles over the iron butt and you did it in adverse conditions. Pretty bad ass if you ask me

·
Señor Member
19,584 Posts
You have a better ass than me. I just can't imagine riding that far, that long. Maybe 30 years ago.

Good to hear your home safe.
Did you just compliment his ass?

Way to go, Kerry. Memory for a lifetime. A little adversity every once in a while is good for the soul.

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
Official or not, my hat is off to you. Few men and no boys! Sounded like a helluva ride. Sitting in gridlock would have driven me nuts. Not to mention in the hail and rain. Glad you made it home safe. :thumbsup

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
A great tale kc. One for the memory books. I've ridden through serious rain on I-70 coming down from Eisenhower and with all the traffic and truck spray and etc. Ugh. And you made it through after departing from LV! As for the Iron Butt, you might not have the documentation so you can have a certificate or license plate bracket, but it doesn't matter. You know you did it.

·
Mr. MojoRisen
1,241 Posts
Fun isn't it? I love those long days on the bike.
Glad you made it home safe.

·
Registered
161 Posts
WOW that is crazy. @ 58 I did a 6 hour ride to SC from DC , that my longest and I could probably do 8-10 hrs but only if I really needed to. Which I do soon. LOL
I bought a back rest for my seat it made a big difference.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts