Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know it's going to be a WINDY ride home...

when you lay your heavy gauntlet style gloves on the bike seat while you put on your earplugs and helmet....

....and have to chase the gloves across the parking lot,

...and your helmet is whistling in the wind, and you haven't even started the bike,

...and sitting supposedly still at a light, you keep having to stand yourself back up straight,
like somebody who is too drunk to even stand still w/o staggering.

The weather guy just said 24mph sustained, gusting above 30mph.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Nathan... for sure. At least you had an indication to hang on while riding home. I had the same indication several years ago. I parked my Honda CBR XX to take a pic of it and while about 20 yards away getting the cam out of the bag I heard an ugly crash as the wind blew it over. Nooooooooo! $3000 damage. A long ride home with things dangling and bouncing in the wind :(.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Nathan... for sure. At least you had an indication to hang on while riding home. I had the same indication several years ago. I parked my Honda CBR XX to take a pic of it and while about 20 yards away getting the cam out of the bag I heard an ugly crash as the wind blew it over. Nooooooooo! $3000 damage. A long ride home with things dangling and bouncing in the wind :(.
I always wondered if the wind could blow over a bike. Besides a tornado or hurricane. Man that "blows".

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This windy ride thread reminds me I really need to add to the recommended products (& services) thread.

On the V-Rod forum there used to be an ongoing never-ending opinionated ass-ho festival about wind buffetting does/does not exist, due/not due to the solid wheels.

I used to avoid taking the V-Rod on days that were going to be this windy, it got buffeted like riding a jet-ski in heavy chop. I frequently rode both bikes on the same windy day, the V-Rod was dramatically , even disconcertingly more susceptible to wind buffetting nature than the LowRider, with only 5% difference in weight

I sent my wheels to be machined to look like old-time Ansen slot mags, and now there is no difference in wind stability at all, unless maybe the V might be slightly more stable than the LowRider because of the lower center of gravity. Great mod, great lookin' wheels for $600 total price, includes buying like new wheels on ebay and sending them to be machined.

One reason for mentioning this over here, is that in the midst of the discussion of wind buffetting and solid wheels on the V-Rod forum, a former fat-bob rider said he had gotten rid of his bike because of it, so big bikes with mostly solid wheels are also susceptible.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Since you brought it up, here is something I previously posted over on 1130cc.com regarding wind/wobble:
Diamond Lil said:
I just arrived home after an hour long ride through mostly open farm land in the windiest conditions yet for me on a motorcycle. There were times where the temptation was to pull over somewhere to see if it would calm down, but the threat of rain & hail on top of there not being much of a shoulder to the road anywhere made that a non-option. So I relaxed, leaned away from the direction the wind was blowing me if it was a cross wind and in shear from ahead took extra care to relax my upper extremities and leaned in a bit low toward the airbox. I moderated my speed to keep a feeling of good control.
Not riding for very many years I'm happy because all in all everything worked out ok. Would I ride in wind like that just for the fun of it, NO!
I'm sharing this with all of you for two reason. First, thank you :kiss: for being here and writing of your own experiences and advice. There was a sense of comfort based in knowing that I'd read of your ways of handling tougher situations...if I kept my wits about me all would work out well.
The other reason is to ask people to share more advice about riding in windy conditions because I haven't seen it discussed in a while. Also, if I did anything you would consider wrong, let me know, please.
Here is my comparison to the Road Queen Classic posted in the same place:
Diamond Lil said:
...*Now please, remember or refer to my thread entitled, "Wind and not Wobble", http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71083 before going out of control. I was riding on a two lane road, 55 speed limit, when three big rigs, one after the other, passed on the opposite side. The day was breezy with cross winds blowing through the road. On the V that would have meant a conscious management of the wind current situation, which was do-able without a doubt. Well folks, the RKC didn't even blink. A welcome change. :thumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts