Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, maybe you had many "best" rides :), but curious to hear about one of your special memories in the saddle in 2006. Where did you go, why was it "one of the best"?

·
Registered
411 Posts
I am looking forward to my best ride of 06 still - once I unpack the container and crack all my bikes outa there and ride the coast road from Cape Town to Hermanus - that will be supreme!

Riding Nick's Turbo bike was a rip and a half!
Dragging two CVO's down the strip several times each was a huge highlight!

difficult to say - riding my bikes again after almost six months, one by one from the shop to the container were also memorable moments.

·
Registered
49 Posts
i would have to say the best ride for me so far in 2006 was in may when i went to myrtle beach spring bike week...it was just a fun time! i really enjoy bike events, seeing all of the bikes and people watching.

·
Steve
262 Posts
Well, my wife and I took a week long trip. Started in Sacramento and went to Bishop CA the first day via Sonora Pass. Second day we went through Death Valley and ended up at a friends house in Las Vegas. Third day was from Vegas to Prescott Arizona riding on as much of Route 66 as possible. Fourth day was through Sadona AZ to the Grand Canyon where it started raining hard so we stopped in Tuba City, AZ where I think we got the last room avalible. Dinner choices in Tuba City consisted of McDonalds or Taco Bell. Woke up the next morning to beautiful sunshine. Headed out towards Four Corners and promptly hit some of the heaviest fog I have ever ridden in. After 30 miles or so we hit sunshine again. Stopped at four corners for a few pictures then headed off to Durango, CO. Sixth day was suppose to head towards Hwy 50 as I wanted to ride the "lonleiest road in America" across Nevada however the prediction of bad weather scared us south to Flagstaff, AZ. The morning of the seventh day my wife had about had enough riding so I decided to head all the way home from Flagstaff to Sacramento. All in all it was a great experiance but next time I am going solo!

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
Banff, Alberta to Jasper in august.The scenery as just breathtaking.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i would have to say the best ride for me so far in 2006 was in may when i went to myrtle beach spring bike week...it was just a fun time! i really enjoy bike events, seeing all of the bikes and people watching.
99evo... You went to a special place to me... Myrtle Beach is where my wife and I had our honeymoon 25 years ago last month. Similarly, I get a kick out of watching bikes and people... will sometimes go to a lunch place to sit and do the same.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, my wife and I took a week long trip. Started in Sacramento and went to Bishop CA the first day via Sonora Pass. Second day we went through Death Valley and ended up at a friends house in Las Vegas. Third day was from Vegas to Prescott Arizona riding on as much of Route 66 as possible. Fourth day was through Sadona AZ to the Grand Canyon where it started raining hard so we stopped in Tuba City, AZ where I think we got the last room avalible. Dinner choices in Tuba City consisted of McDonalds or Taco Bell. Woke up the next morning to beautiful sunshine. Headed out towards Four Corners and promptly hit some of the heaviest fog I have ever ridden in. After 30 miles or so we hit sunshine again. Stopped at four corners for a few pictures then headed off to Durango, CO. Sixth day was suppose to head towards Hwy 50 as I wanted to ride the "lonleiest road in America" across Nevada however the prediction of bad weather scared us south to Flagstaff, AZ. The morning of the seventh day my wife had about had enough riding so I decided to head all the way home from Flagstaff to Sacramento. All in all it was a great experiance but next time I am going solo!
Great tale! Sometimes weather, rain and such can be a downer on a ride, yet strangely, it often is the source for fond memories down the road. Well, maybe sometimes :). Someday hope to ride CA and AZ.... and I'll have to say "been there done that" with 50 across NV!

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
The Columbia ice fields are amazing and receding fast due to global warming.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Didnt get to ride in 2006; have been in China all year but will be back in Texas to stay early next year. So, i am going back to 2005; many good two rides with my mate but the best was a two day trip from La Porte, Texas west through San Antonio and on to Denver, Colorado from there and the trip back a week later.

It was the best because it was the last ride I made with my younger brother and my last good beer, tequila and tex-mex before departing for Bejing.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like a best ride to me, despite 2005 timing, for the memories are there. Probably came not too far from where I'm at.

Was in Beijing twice in 2006 on business, and then elsewhere in GC. Did you ever drop in and see the new H-D dealership in Beijing?

·
Ayubowan!
115 Posts
death valley 700+ miles in one day. 2 baggers. 3 people. If you like the desert this is a lovely ride.(60*F to 120*F) :ride

http://www.nps.gov/deva/

Death Valley National Park: A Land of Extremes

Hottest, Driest, Lowest: A superlative desert of streaming sand dunes, snow-capped mountains, multicolored rock layers, water-fluted canyons and three million acres of stone wilderness. Home to the Timbisha Shoshone and to plants and animals unique to the harshest deserts. A place of legend and a place of trial. Death Valley.

·
Registered
41 Posts
trip this year was from Denver thru the Flaming Gorge Ut., Grand Tetons and Yellowstone to Flathead lake MT. back thru Yellowstone and over Beartooth pass thru Wyoming( not the highlight, but nessary to get home) and back to Denver. Very little interstate miles until I-25 on the way home which reminded me why we avioded them in the first place. saw a lot of sights that I had not seen before. Met some good folks along the way also.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good to see you here skunk. Your ride was to places I haven't seen yet, but going north is in the plans for next summer!

Sometime, interested in your impressions of Beartooth, Montana, etc.

Steve

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
death valley 700+ miles in one day. 2 baggers. 3 people. If you like the desert this is a lovely ride.(60*F to 120*F) :ride

http://www.nps.gov/deva/

Death Valley National Park: A Land of Extremes

Hottest, Driest, Lowest: A superlative desert of streaming sand dunes, snow-capped mountains, multicolored rock layers, water-fluted canyons and three million acres of stone wilderness. Home to the Timbisha Shoshone and to plants and animals unique to the harshest deserts. A place of legend and a place of trial. Death Valley.
CEYLON... Have heard much about Death Valley. Haven't been but have a friend who goes through there almost once a year. Guess in '05 a wet spring left Death Valley with a carpet of wild flowers? And congrats on the 700+ miles in day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Laconia is always a good ride, get to see old friends, once a year.
Biketoberfest was also a hoot, met several new V-rod friends
Both the 2000 R K and the 2007 DX had their day in the sun

·
Large Member
173 Posts
It was on my birthday.My wife said she wanted to go hangout at the local dealer.This is a usuall thing we do,so off we went.We have to pass it a bit and do a Ueee to enter the parking lot,as we did along the front fence was a banner with HAPPY BIRTHDAY AL on it.We did our hanging and some of our best riding buddys showed up and we went for some coffee and a ride in through the woods,beautifull day too.After a while my wife kept telling me to take the road that leads to our house.Even though I didn't want to go that way I did anyway.As we got closer there were ballons and signs.My wife and sister put together a surprise party.There were some people I had'nt seen in years and plenty of locals.I was truly surprised and had a great 50th birthday.

I've been on alot of rides,long cruises and Rallys but this was one of the best for the year.:ride

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It was on my birthday.My wife said she wanted to go hangout at the local dealer.This is a usuall thing we do,so off we went.We have to pass it a bit and do a Ueee to enter the parking lot,as we did along the front fence was a banner with HAPPY BIRTHDAY AL on it.We did our hanging and some of our best riding buddys showed up and we went for some coffee and a ride in through the woods,beautifull day too.After a while my wife kept telling me to take the road that leads to our house.Even though I didn't want to go that way I did anyway.As we got closer there were ballons and signs.My wife and sister put together a surprise party.There were some people I had'nt seen in years and plenty of locals.I was truly surprised and had a great 50th birthday.

I've been on alot of rides,long cruises and Rallys but this was one of the best for the year.:ride
That is a great story and ride TC-88! Have a smile as I type this. Sounds like a special wife.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts