Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine are HD aileron grips. I love that they are mostly rubber, almond shape, have a thumb notch, and have the chrome wing in the front for the fingers to hang onto making maintaining throttle very, very easy to do.

They looked good on my Sportster, great on the VRSCA and don't go at all with the Queen. For her I opted for the HD Stealth grips.

·
Touch my monkey....
471 Posts
HD vintage grips. Another brand calls then "Jack hammers". They're thinner than most.

·
Registered
37,623 Posts
I like the looks of these, but at the price they want for them, I like my stock ones just fine.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
I had the "foamy" grips on my '94... they started to degrade after only one season. The stockers work fine for me.

When I was going thru my 'biker trash' phase, I had the leather covers with the 12" fringe hangin' off... but got tired of being 'flogged' every time I went for a ride. ;)They tended to wrap around my wrists at speed.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm running the Harley flame grips. Dont forget to get your favorite diameter grip when choosing. Most have a choice.
That is more of an issue than folks might initially realize. Great point!

·
Touch my monkey....
471 Posts
That's why I use the vintage grips. I hate feeling like I'm gripping a fireplace lof for a throttle. I don't have small hands, but I can't palm a Buick, either. I like a thin, comfy grip. I'd be just as happy with the left bar and throttle tube wrapped with firstaid tape.........

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I get the part about not going too thin on grips because they can actually be more fatiguing, but these are just too thick for me. I hear so many exclaim the same criticism, so why don't they market a smaller version? They must not be hearing it?

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
If the grips were too thin (smaller outer diameter) they would not be durable; and (I'm guessing) using a smaller diameter handlebar stock would require making them (the bars) out of a stronger (read: more costly) material. Having to redesign/re-engineer/re-spec the bike would add to the manufacturer's expense, and there probably would not be sufficient demand to justify. And if you change the size of the handlebars, it would become more difficult (if not impossible) to run internal wiring.

Hmm... reading my post, you can tell I've not yet had my raisin bran and prune juice this morning! (giggling)

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your post sounds fine.:)

I am not implying that the grips need to be any smaller in diameter than those already made by HD for instance. Their Chrome and Rubber grips come in small and larger sizes and the Stealth and Aileron grips are smaller in comparison to many of the other models.

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
Size and diameter are very individual things that need assessment based on several factors.

A little arthritis in the fingers and the slightly bulkier grips are much more comfortable. The metal grips are slightly harder to grip and cause fatigue over long periods of time. Grips should be comfortable to the rider and functional as far as the actual grip.

ps. Guys---Didn't your Dads tell you to always find a girl with small hands?:rofl:

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Size and diameter are very individual things that need assessment based on several factors.

A little arthritis in the fingers and the slightly bulkier grips are much more comfortable. The metal grips are slightly harder to grip and cause fatigue over long periods of time. Grips should be comfortable to the rider and functional as far as the actual grip.

ps. Guys---Didn't your Dads tell you to always find a girl with small hands?:rofl:
There are some wonderful people from Texas.

·
......My Title......
1,061 Posts
That's what I use, with the heel lever for the throttle. I really like them.
I just noticed we don't have a "I'm with them" or "I'm with stupid" smiley

But I'm with DNM I've got the iso grips with the heel lever.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
My Harley came with "undersized grips" about 3/4" After long trips my right hand got so severly affected I couldnt turn the ignition on with my right hand! I installed larger diameter grips and my hands stay comfortable and is now a non issue.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Those palm rests make me nervous.
I had a guy tell me it got caught in his cuff and he was throttling a bit erratically having no idea why???

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Those palm rests make me nervous.
I bought one at Americade last year before I swapped out my grips to alleviate my previously mentioned condition. I did like it for the long haul. There is no grip pressure at all required when using it. I also did not feel in anyway that it was going to screw me up. That is until I had to start moving my bike around the parking lot before starting. You know, when you need to move your bike around with the engine off. When pushing and pulling on the bars the paddle would sometimes get in the way. They make long ones and short wide ones. For 10 bucks or so its worth trying for yourself. If you dont like it toss it out.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts