Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was it? Great memories? Good choice or lead you to a different H-D? Any pics?

After renting a Dyna Low Rider on a trip through the south ten years ago the hook was set. Soon after the TC88 engine was introduced, and then placed in a new model... the 2000 Deuce. I placed an order and waited six months. This bike replaced the Softail Custom in H-D's line-up for a few years. It was a great first H-D... chromed front forks, console, extended tank, solid disk rear wheel. I even liked the rear fender. Your first H-D?

·
Super Moderator
12,925 Posts
The geezer glide I am still riding. My wife got a Sporty 883 right before I got the glide, so the Sporty was the first I got to ride. I still have mine :)

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
My first few Harley's looked and sounded great (when running) but rode like tanks till I bought a new 1986 FXR and things have been looking up since.

·
Shovelhead
391 Posts
1969 Sporty 900 love them old high rpm sporties. 1983 XLX Sporty the first model when HD was no longer AMF. 1984 FLHS what a difference from those sporties. And now I still own the FLHS and a 2009 FLHX. I've had alot of great memories with all of them too. Anyone know how I can post pic's from a photo from an old camera?

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Mine holds alot of great memories, it's a 2007 Night Rod Special. Part of the VRSC line up. :)

·
Steve
262 Posts
My first was a 1994 1200 cc sportster. I had it about 3 months when I bought a 1995 FXSTSB. I still have this one.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1977 frame with a 1974 engine. reversed shift/brake sides. I made the rear fender from two sporty fenders, then used a tombstone tail light. Windshield is OEM HD as is the driving lights AND the tool box. A friend of mine painted it for me and used Fatboy emblems on the tank, and I ended up selling it 5 days after I finished it, to someone that HAD to have it.

Wheels are factory HD, with spokes and aluminum rims. Front fork legs were shaved (Square reflector boss used to be on the side) and chromed. Frame was smoothed and painted. Engine had a new top end, and had a bent valve when I got it.

Dave... A memorable bike! Did you ever carry a passenger on that butt pad?

:ride

·
Registered
89 Posts
What was it? Great memories? Good choice or lead you to a different H-D? Any pics?

After renting a Dyna Low Rider on a trip through the south ten years ago the hook was set. Soon after the TC88 engine was introduced, and then placed in a new model... the 2000 Deuce. I placed an order and waited six months. This bike replaced the Softail Custom in H-D's line-up for a few years. It was a great first H-D... chromed front forks, console, extended tank, solid disk rear wheel. I even liked the rear fender. Your first H-D?

1985FXRS. I'd been riding metric a while and my buds were always bashing Harleys. Never paid 'em any mind since I always thought Harleys were fine. Walked into Butler's H-D in Houma, La. and there was this fine red bike in a sea of black ones. J.B. kept asking me to buy it 'cause nobody wanted anything except black ones. Price started at $8898 and went down a lot every time I went back to drool. Price got down to $7250 so I bit the bullet(it was still a LOT more than what I'd paid for any of my metric rides). On the ride home I thought Dang! Now I got a hold of a machine! Felt real good. These pics are when I had it for sale in '03. Got $8500 for it.
Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
I like your taste Dave...
My first was a 1974 Sporty (XLCH) I got in '78. Sold a car for it. This is what she looked like after the first wintering in the kitchen.

It went through a couple reincarnations...

And she ended up looking like this by '91...

Had this ride for 20 years... Sold her 'cause the bill collectors were pounding on the door back then. I imagine that like everybody else, I wish I still had her. Ran great and I knew every inch intimately. Damn I miss her...

·
What?
3,256 Posts
My first H-D? 2008 Dyna Street Bob. I know, but I've been on metrics for twenty years. At least I figured it out eventually!! :thumb

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1985FXRS. I'd been riding metric a while and my buds were always bashing Harleys. Never paid 'em any mind since I always thought Harleys were fine. Walked into Butler's H-D in Houma, La. and there was this fine red bike in a sea of black ones. J.B. kept asking me to buy it 'cause nobody wanted anything except black ones. Price started at $8898 and went down a lot every time I went back to drool. Price got down to $7250 so I bit the bullet(it was still a LOT more than what I'd paid for any of my metric rides). On the ride home I thought Dang! Now I got a hold of a machine! Felt real good. These pics are when I had it for sale in '03. Got $8500 for it.
Bob
Bob... Sweet FXRS. A legendary bike. Can't complain about selling it for more than what it was bought for, especially after more than 20 years of riding the thing!

·
Road Glide
348 Posts
Mine was an early 90's Softail std. or custom. POS vibrated like a jack hammer, in fact it broke the rolex of the guy I sold it to :cupcake I only bought it because it was cheap, sold that and got a Ducati :pull that lasted a few months until I got my money back. Got my Heritage in late 01 after a big off on my Suzuki and Deb said no more bikes.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mine was an early 90's Softail std. or custom. POS vibrated like a jack hammer, in fact it broke the rolex of the guy I sold it to :cupcake I only bought it because it was cheap, sold that and got a Ducati :pull that lasted a few months until I got my money back. Got my Heritage in late 01 after a big off on my Suzuki and Deb said no more bikes.

I remember my first ride on an EVO Softail. Thought I was on a washing machine in need of balancing! Did get used to it after time however. Had an '02 Heritage. What a great bike. Good the "big off" didn't take you away from two wheels permanently.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts