Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still working some possibilities between the largely empty space between the ears but there is one I'm pretty sure I'm going to do. Something different. I'm going to head to the high plains and over 5-7 days tour battlefield sites of the Plains Indian Wars. Gonna ride down lonely county roads, walk the fields, read the displays/markers, listen to the wind. Here's two of the stops:

http://www.nps.gov/sand/
http://www.nps.gov/waba/

Anyway, what horizon might you be pointing your two wheels towards in 2008? Rallies, family, friends, vacation?

·
......My Title......
1,061 Posts
we always ride to little sturgis ky for the rally (900 miles there and back)

in the spring we are planning on going from the east side of missouri and gettin on historic route 66 and go as far west as we decide and stop for the pictures and museums and such.

And I think we might take another trip to eureka springs arkansas, it's a cool little town!

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
I'm not sure yet but I do plan on as many trips as I can afford. One spot I would like to see by bike is Mount Washington in New Hampshire.

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
I'm not sure yet but I do plan on as many trips as I can afford. One spot I would like to see by bike is Mount Washington in New Hampshire.
Was on top of Mount Washington back in 1983 on an 82 FLHT and it was spectacular. Make sure you have really good brakes for your trip back down.

·
Registered
85 Posts
BRP between Asheville and Boone - to include one day at the Dragon and Cherohola, to include a day over to Bristol, TN for a tour of the Speedway, to include a day tour of the Biltmore - all in all, should take a week

Second trip, most likely 4 days today over to Gettysburg, PA - to include a tour of the York HD facility

Third trip is more a want to, but less than 50/50 likely - to Milwaukee for the 105th, etc. - I am not sure I want to deal with the trip over a holiday weekend!

Others - make them as I can fit them in the schedule!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Steve, will there be a "Farson End of the Year Video?" I sure hope so. I am not sure if I have seen all of your videos, but enjoy them all. Bear Creek Canyon is my favorite one. The music with the sound of the Harley together is great. When the exhaust scraped in the turn I think I heard your pulse increase. Last year's end of the year was great also. It is all I want for Christmas.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Steve, will there be a "Farson End of the Year Video?" I sure hope so. I am not sure if I have seen all of your videos, but enjoy them all. Bear Creek Canyon is my favorite one. The music with the sound of the Harley together is great. When the exhaust scraped in the turn I think I heard your pulse increase. Last year's end of the year was great also. It is all I want for Christmas.
You know Steve, it is the time of year to perhaps sit down and gather the content, seeing if there's something there to put together. I was camera lazy this year. Will let you know.

BTW, that ride here was recorded with a HiDef camcorder! The 4:17 recording was 267mb in size, so too large for the web. Reduced the bitrate to make it web-able, but kept the HiDef version. On a big HiDef monitor, full screen, it feels like you are literally there! Serious. A glimpse of what is coming when the bandwidth is high enough.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Well, this morning I was content knowing that 3 couples were planning a bike tour of Nova Scotia next July. Really looking forward to it. Especially the 5 hour "The Cat" ride to Nova Scotia.
http://www.catferry.com/

Then I got a phone call saying that "My wife's cousin and his wife are coming with us. They each have new Harleys. Oh yeah, she has another cousin who says he wants to come as well."

Geez, I think we just doubled the population of Nova Scotia. lol So much for a nice, easy going, tour of the island with no arguing over who wants to see what when. :ride

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Excellent duecedog. Coincidently minutes ago, have a son reading a book about the history of whaling in the area and we were talking about the ferry rides to the islands. You're gonna have a fantastic time and ride.

·
BatRod
502 Posts
Still working on em, but I have a meeting in S Calif that is right after one in Tucson. May trail to Tucson, ride over and back. Another in Co Spgs. Might finally look you up Steve. And of course, Sturgis.

·
Registered
23 Posts
2860 miles after I get there

Ship bikes from Tampa, FL to San Diego, CA.
2,860 mile trip inland up to Oregon and down the West Coast back to San Diego. 15 days.

Did 4,058 one way last year from Spokane, WA to Tampa, FL. 14 days.

It's in my blood now - I thrive on the long trips.

Attachments

·
Registered
411 Posts
Souther Tip of Africa

Planning to ride down to Cape Agulhas, the southern most tip of this continenent, and then continue down the famous Garden Route, ending up in Jeffrey's Bay - South Africa's surf capital.
From there trip back through the inland and the Karoo desert, through Oudsthoorn where the Kango Caves, Crocodile farm and Ostrich farms are.
It will be around trip of about 2500k.
But thats not all.:D
I also want to do a trip up the west coast, just going day by day and then back again - should be a blast!

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
Guatemala!

A group of us is going to ride to Guatemala sometime around the 1st of Feb.
I haven't checked out the route yet or how many miles it will be though.
Everyone says it is supposed to be nice down there.:D

Ride Free, Ride Safe,
Vettster

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Excellent duecedog. Coincidently minutes ago, have a son reading a book about the history of whaling in the area and we were talking about the ferry rides to the islands. You're gonna have a fantastic time and ride.
Sorry for the delay in responding.. seems there was a holiday in the way.
We're really looking forward to the trip. The wife and I did a cruise to Halifax a few years ago and I remember telling her that it looked like a great place to explore on the bike.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ship bikes from Tampa, FL to San Diego, CA.
2,860 mile trip inland up to Oregon and down the West Coast back to San Diego. 15 days.

Did 4,058 one way last year from Spokane, WA to Tampa, FL. 14 days.

It's in my blood now - I thrive on the long trips.
Jimaroo... Excellent! You can bet your plans will deliver memories never forgotten. Post a report following if you have a chance!

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A group of us is going to ride to Guatemala sometime around the 1st of Feb.
I haven't checked out the route yet or how many miles it will be though.
Everyone says it is supposed to be nice down there.:D

Ride Free, Ride Safe,
Vettster
Vettster... I would be VERY interested in this report. Pointing the wheels south to Mexico and possibly beyond is on my horizon of plans in a few years. Anxious to hear about the border crossings and road/traffic conditions, sights along the way. If you have a chance to post a report... :)

·
Enigma
217 Posts
I'm with Lake on the Route 66 ride, that would be ssswweeetttt.
Try western KS, NE, IA, OK. Don't know if I'll make it to CO this year.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts