Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of us have taken rider's courses, some have not. Would value a thread listing the tips / lessons you find especially helpful, whether taught in a course or not.

I have several, but here's one...

- Be smoooooooth regardless of road conditions... dry, wet, cold, debris, etc. Resist being heavy with the throttle, heavy with the brakes. Being smooth will take you safely through all kinds of roads and rides, challenging or not.

Others?

·
Registered
679 Posts
This one is learned on the first day...but probably one of the very Most important....

Don't look where you Don't want to go!!!!!!!:ride

·
Ayubowan!
115 Posts
This one is learned on the first day...but probably one of the very Most important....

& Don't look down at curves:ride

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

If I were to cite only one, this one would be it.

Another one... resist using the front brake when leaned over in a curve.

Unless on a race track with conditions better known, it is best to have all braking done before entering the curve. As the saying goes... slow in, fast out.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,750 Posts
One thing I find a big risk in traffic, is the presumption that you'll be pretty much ok, with about the same following distance you're accustomed to in a car.

Problem is that a pothole or piece of road junk ( think muffler w/4' of tailpipe) coming out from under the car in front of you and stopped dead in the road isn't going to kill you in a car, but at standard following distance at 75 mph, you don't even have time to think "ohShit" before hitting whatever came out from under the SUV in front of you. SUV's, pick-ups, Hummers, semi's, any high stepping vehicle, I follow right in his wheel rut, thinking maybe he'll riccochet any road junk or at least make a big WHOOMP in a pot-hole. Anything for a little extra warning. This danger is worst in the dark or rain, anytime visibility is poor.

Another thing that has almost killed me a couple of times, when checking a spot I want to change lanes into, I look in the mirror and over my shoulder, finding it clear, and a reasonable distance behind is clear, but some fool doing 120 mph or more is way too far back to see as a threat yet, and he's in the space or passing thru it at speed when I make my move. Coming out of a toll plaza seems to be the worst place for this to happen.

Another one I try to keep in mind, when in a lane merging onto a highway, where you are looking over your shoulder planning what spot to merge into, a driver who didn't plan well has stopped at the end of the merging lane, and you might not see him in time.

Be very careful out there.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good ones Nathang... including following too close as vehicles in front go over objects. My sister once hit a cinder block in her Mustang years ago as it emerged from under a truck that was in front of her. :eek: Serious damage.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,750 Posts
I would like add to this thread, since it is in the same vein, highly recommended safety specific equipment mods.

I have the HeavyCycles StageI LED brake light w/ stock location LED modded turnsignals rigged for run/brake/turn functionality, and I think they reduce both tailgating and the chance of getting run up over top of by 300% if not much more. I have that set-up on both the LowRider and the V-Rod. Expensive, but absolutely worth every penny.

At tailgating distance, in low light conditions where you eyes are wide open, they really do hurt to look at. Impossible to overlook. At our local 2wheelTuesday gathering nate552 looked at them, and then sat in the pub blinking his eyes and saying "I can still see them!"

·
Registered
360 Posts
You should always be able to stop in the the road segment you can see!

·
Registered
41 Posts
tip for today. What ever you were planning to do just before you uttered these words "Hey bubba, Hold my beer and ya'll watch this" DON'T!!

·
Registered
679 Posts
tip for today. What ever you were planning to do just before you uttered these words "Hey bubba, Hold my beer and ya'll watch this" DON'T!!

Hehehe--do you know Troy :rofl:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dont **** with cagers. They are bigger than you. Here is a basic one make sure that you bike is in top running condition. Tires are inflated and have tread, brakes work both of them, lights work, and general conditon is good. Ride invisable run the high beam durring the day and use hand signals with blinkers arms moving get attention.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hehehe--do you know Troy :rofl:
Nope, not yet anyway. would he hold my beer? the problem with having Bubba holding my beer is if and when I ask for it back (after doing whatever I shouldn't have) it's almost always empty!! Gonna have to get me one of those nice swivel beverage holders for the handlebars and take it with me.(when doing whatever I shouldn't have)

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you don't know what countersteering is, find out and practise!

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,750 Posts
You should always be able to stop in the the road segment you can see!
There is nowhere I ride where you can do that, if you're speaking literally.

It is impossible, at night you are overriding you headlight much of the time, especially when there is approaching traffic and you can't use your high beam. In high speed traffic, about the best you can hope to do is be sure you can stop before hitting the car in from of you, but that's all relative, since he's going 80 mph too, so he can't stop any faster than you can. In traffic, and at speed, if a big hole or piece of junk comes out from under the car in front of you, you cannot stop before you get there, you need to be ready and able to dodge it. Even if you could stop that quickly, you would probably get run over by 30 cars for trying.

Somebody on the V-Rod forum uses the electronic signature to ride loose.
I think about that a lot, I think these big bikes are so stable and so dominated by gyroscope action, that it becomes hard to maneuver quickly, especially if you let yourself become stiff and frozen in a stable straight line position. I tend to spend time wobbling the front end, doing little dodge-it manuevers, trying to avoid getting into a straight line rut, menatlly or physically.

Another one I like says watch traffic 4 or 5 cars in front of you. That's the best advice there is, because the dork right in front of you probably isn't paying enough attention to be the best warning you get of what's ahead. I find that using that approach, I frequently see the necessity to get on the brakes coming before the driver in front of me sees it. That gives the guy behind me a LOT more warning not to run over me!

Anybody got any good thoughts on fighting "target fixation"? I've got a bent wheel on the V-Rod from hitting a big rock that wasn't even directly in my way, I zeroed in on it while trying hard to miss it. I find the advice to look away from the object you are focused on to be impossible, if the target is very close to my path.

I seem to have no trouble keeping 2 specific paths in my mind, but not three. What I mean is, my mind seems to very nicely do a "..from here.. dodge LEFT.." or "..from here..dodge RIGHT.." maneuver, but not do so well at "..I'm here(unspecified).. from OVER THERE..DODGE TO SOMEWHERE ELSE!! .."

My current best plan, if the target is very close to my path, I go ahead and aim directly at it momentarily, and then I have a line to divert from, I think I find that works better than trying not to zero in over there, from over here, be sure and go somewhere else.

·
Registered
67 Posts
No Donuts in a Bar Parking Lot!

Dont do any Donuts in a Bar Parking Lot (without Engine Guards That is!):ride
Do Not Twist the throttle in the Gravel! (Just because fishtailing is FUN)
Do not pull wheelies while going thru a intersection! ( and it is a good Idea to let the passenger Know WHEN you are going to wheelie)
Do not accelerate in the Grass ( when the wife is watching)
Do not do any Burnouts on your own Driveway! (Do that at your friends house!, Let his wife do the Bitchin!)
Do not attempt a Jump Off a ramp Any Higher that 2' While doing less than 20MPH
Do not attempt to Steer with your feet while laying back against your ole ladies Jugs!
I , I ,I Guess that's about it!

·
Livn' On Bonus Years
155 Posts
Dont do any Donuts in a Bar Parking Lot (without Engine Guards That is!):ride
Do Not Twist the throttle in the Gravel! (Just because fishtailing is FUN)
Do not pull wheelies while going thru a intersection! ( and it is a good Idea to let the passenger Know WHEN you are going to wheelie)
Do not accelerate in the Grass ( when the wife is watching)
Do not do any Burnouts on your own Driveway! (Do that at your friends house!, Let his wife do the Bitchin!)
Do not attempt a Jump Off a ramp Any Higher that 2' While doing less than 20MPH
Do not attempt to Steer with your feet while laying back against your ole ladies Jugs!
I , I ,I Guess that's about it!
My signature line(s) agree with all of the above!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts