Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes these are more memorable :). An mind numbing ride through challenging weather or conditions. Relief when finally making it to a hotel or home. A warm or cold shower. Then days, weeks pass, and interestingly it becomes a great story to recall and retell, and one that wasn't that bad after all. Well, maybe some of the time :).

This past August was with two friends at Vail Pass on I-70. Just wanted to get home. Heavy traffic. Cold, cold rain started to fall heavily. I was unprepared. Spray from trucks and cars made it worse. Couldn't see. By the time I got home > two hours later I was a shivering, teeth chattering, basket case. Poured water out of the boots into the sink. Wallet resembled a sponge along with all the contents. Ahhh... memories :)

Your worst ride of '06?

·
Steve
262 Posts
This is easy...........a ride last May from Winnamucca, NV to Reno, NV. It was about 170 miles or pure hell. Low 30 degree temp and hit snow, hail, rain and extremely strong cross winds along the way. Needed to stop every 30 miles or so to drink a cup of hot coffee to stay warm. I was never so happy to get off a motorcycle in my whole life. I think I was in the hot shower for an hour after I got home just to warm up. Thank god I was on the Roadking and not the Vrod.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Any time on two wheels is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. No such thing as a bad ride where nothing broke, and the shiny side stayed uppermost.

·
Registered
41 Posts
yep, easy to answer this one, 4 days a week, to work!!. In reality the ride there is good. Before most have stuck their toes in their slippers, no traffic(yet) straight hiways, spots can see for aways ahead and can twist it hard and clear out any cobwebs(mine). It's just that last left, past the guard shack and the dismount that sucks

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is easy...........a ride last May from Winnamucca, NV to Reno, NV. It was about 170 miles or pure hell. Low 30 degree temp and hit snow, hail, rain and extremely strong cross winds along the way. Needed to stop every 30 miles or so to drink a cup of hot coffee to stay warm. I was never so happy to get off a motorcycle in my whole life. I think I was in the hot shower for an hour after I got home just to warm up. Thank god I was on the Roadking and not the Vrod.
slammeddv... I did the same. Turned the water temp to scald and stood there until I emerged looking like a prune.

Your coffee comment reminded once when I took the bike to the airport for the October forecast called for pleasant weather. When I returned from the trip at night it was snowing?!? 70 miles to home. I pulled over once at a closed store just to stand under the overhang and get out of the snow. couldn't find a cup of coffee and needed to go to the bathroom (whiz). Man, I almost just went in my pants just to warm up. Ahhhhhhhh.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yep, easy to answer this one, 4 days a week, to work!!. In reality the ride there is good. Before most have stuck their toes in their slippers, no traffic(yet) straight hiways, spots can see for aways ahead and can twist it hard and clear out any cobwebs(mine). It's just that last left, past the guard shack and the dismount that sucks
Hey skunk... Good for you taking the bike to work! But maybe you didn't today? :)

Don't know about your snowfall amounts but 21" here in Park County :eek:.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey skunk... Good for you taking the bike to work! But maybe you didn't today? :)

Don't know about your snowfall amounts but 21" here in Park County :eek:.
got lucky here only 5", no bike on days of wet and cold. too dark to tell beteen ice and water spots at that hour of the morning. Did get to travel to Deertrail and back in the storm yesterday though, fun!! (on 4 wheels)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I got caught in a hail storm. It was 80plus degrees then the sky turned black and All I had was a windbreaker and fingerless gloves. Lucky it only lasted about 3 mins but it felt like crap that whole time and it hurt too. Glad I had a full face on.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got caught in a hail storm. It was 80plus degrees then the sky turned black and All I had was a windbreaker and fingerless gloves. Lucky it only lasted about 3 mins but it felt like crap that whole time and it hurt too. Glad I had a full face on.
I can relate somewhat... Colorado is hail central and I've been caught several times with cold hard hail coming down... and no full face on, just a half helmet! Have to ride with one hand on the throttle, the other hand covering the face below the eyewear! Then again, with cool Colorado temps up high I was wearing more than a windbreaker. Bet you felt that!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Kansas!

Man. Traveling the entire length of Kansas in the summer, in one day, with crosswinds so bad they ripped the zippers off my chaps. I had to duct tape them onto my legs (After the flapping left some pretty good bruises). The vending machines were broken at every rest stop. I was forced into the burm after being run out of the fast lane by a semi. It was aboute 90 degrees, and the sun was in my face the whole time, taunting me. When I stopped in Hays for lunch, I accidetly ran over a trash bag that floated in my path. The plastic melted to my brakes and exhaust. The brakes stopped working and the pipes are still stained. Only a world famous Kansas tornado could have made the experience more intense. Next time I go to Colorado, I'm gonna Fly n Ride.:ride

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow... never knew you went through this to get out here! Hope the reward was worth it. If the weather is right, wind at the back, time to spare, getting off the interstate, passing through small towns... Kansas riding can be A OK. Anything less with the preceding and it could be tedious, if not a memory!

Mental note to self: Avoid plastic trash bags blowing in the wind!

·
Registered
40,744 Posts
Well, it wasnt this year, but I remember riding to Avon CO one year in July. I didnt know how cold it got up there at night (hell its in the middle of summer!). No gloves. I had to stop in a bar just to run some COLD water on my hands just to WARM them up! Then there was the time I rode from Kansas to LA. With the above experience still fresh on my brain (its July again), I decided to go thru New Mexico and Arizona to get there. When I was going thru Arizona, it was 115 deg in the shade! By the time I got to LA, my hands were so swollen, I couldnt even make a fist. Making pit stops was a bitch.

Dammed if you do, dammed if you dont.

I'll stick to dodging trash bags.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kainam... Sounds like your hands have experienced the extremes :eek:.

But another reason I'm responding is what looks like to be quite a powerful Night Train in your sig. ;).

·
Registered
77 Posts
I can relate somewhat... Colorado is hail central and I've been caught several times with cold hard hail coming down... and no full face on, just a half helmet! Have to ride with one hand on the throttle, the other hand covering the face below the eyewear! Then again, with cool Colorado temps up high I was wearing more than a windbreaker. Bet you felt that!
I actually enjoyed riding in my first hail storm this summer. Made me feel like a real road tripping biker. I was near Castlewood Canyon State Park in the Black Forest near Colorado Springs. I thought it was just a rain storm. I knew it was going to arrive at the park just before I did, but I was looking forward to trying on the new rain gear and seein this park. The hail was a bonus. i really felt like a real bike then. I saw a few others. That wave means something more when done in a hail storm.

Here is picture ( think that is Pikes Peak about 60 miles away):

Attachments

·
Ayubowan!
115 Posts
I went to Hollister for 4th of July with another 2 bikers from our hog. One guy is a hard core biker; the other guy is a too theoretical guy. (Rode 60 at 70 mph on 101 freeway) That night we camped. I had only a sleeping bag. (Bad communication) temperature dropped so badly, slept on a picnic table. That was a tough night. And they canceled the bike fest. Next day I left early took PCH and it was a cold ride, some places 0 visibility due to fog. That was a rough ride. About 700 miles.
:mad: :mad: :mad:

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I actually enjoyed riding in my first hail storm this summer. Made me feel like a real road tripping biker. I was near Castlewood Canyon State Park in the Black Forest near Colorado Springs. I thought it was just a rain storm. I knew it was going to arrive at the park just before I did, but I was looking forward to trying on the new rain gear and seein this park. The hail was a bonus. i really felt like a real bike then. I saw a few others. That wave means something more when done in a hail storm.

Here is picture ( think that is Pikes Peak about 60 miles away):
Reefteach... that's some pic. Know right where that is at. And that is Pikes Peak in the distance. So you endure Kansas and this is the reward! :)

·
Registered
40,744 Posts
Kainam... Sounds like your hands have experienced the extremes :eek:.

But another reason I'm responding is what looks like to be quite a powerful Night Train in your sig. ;).
Thanks... helps me to dodge all manner of things... From errant trash bags to SUV wielding soccer moms yacking on cell phones!

·
Registered
67 Posts
06 is not over yet

Well,
06 is not over yet. But the worst ride that I have had so far , Humm ????
I guess it would have to be the shortest ride I took. Because I did not want to Quit riding!:ride

·
Registered
77 Posts
Reefteach... that's some pic. Know right where that is at. And that is Pikes Peak in the distance. So you endure Kansas and this is the reward! :)
Yep. It was worth it. Both for the sense of adventure, and for the experience once I was there. If riding cross country solo didn't have obstacles, everybody would do it without reservation.
Most people I tell about my adventure have thoughts most similar to one of the two:
1)You're stupid for doing that. Why not fly? Why not drive and haul your bike? That must have been uncomfortable. I would never do that.

2) Tell me about that. Do you wish you went w/ others? Were you afraid to travel by yourself? Will you do that again? I wish I could do that.

Here is a picture facing the opposite direction (I just rode out of this)>>

1 - 20 of 55 Posts