Harley Davidson Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
12,803 Posts
Here's something simpler I find comes back to me over an over. Gumption builders.

Pirsig observes there are tasks that are so boggling that they drain your gumption,

finding an electrical problem for instance. He leaves the gumption draining task for awhile,

uses a less confounding task that has a simple reward, like polishing chrome, to rebuild gumption,

re-set the spirit, before going back to the gumption draining task.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
One thing that sticks in my mind from the book is where he asks what the difference is between a good mechanic and a bad mechanic. The simple answer is that the good mechanic cares.

NOTE TO POTENTIAL READERS: This is a book of philosophy and you really won't learn anything technical about motorcycle mechanics. But it could change your life. (Although mine hasn't changed . . . yet. :))

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
12,803 Posts
One thing that sticks in my mind from the book is where he asks what the difference is between a good mechanic and a bad mechanic. The simple answer is that the good mechanic cares.

NOTE TO POTENTIAL READERS: This is a book of philosophy and you really won't learn anything technical about motorcycle mechanics. But it could change your life. (Although mine hasn't changed . . . yet. :))
Sure it has. In a big way. I found this book to be just full of epiphanies.

You know that a good mechanic cares. Much more importantly, you know with a certainty

that there never was any doubt in your mind about that, even before you read it,

because some instinctive knowing what Quality is, in people or things,

is an inherent part of every person who is willing to see it.

It is just the smallest sparkle of the Divine that you see. And you always could see it,

it's just a shock to realize what it means, and how plain it is.

... and it's testimony to the Quality in you, and in all of us.

Somewhere I read that a guy who just makes shoes is a cobbler,

but a guy who routinely makes shoes like they were for Jesus is a cobbler-priest.

:ride

·
Nomad
138 Posts
Somewhere I read that a guy who just makes shoes is a cobbler,

but a guy who routinely makes shoes like they were for Jesus is a cobbler-priest.
You got me interested, I will have to buy the book. A few years back I got a book "Harley-Davidson and Philosophy: Full-Throttle Aristotle " and it was an interesting book, but I had to read it in small doses.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
12,803 Posts
The best roads are the ones going from nowhere, to nowhere,

... and there's a faster route.
Many lines from this book, or my best recollection of them, are part of me.

And I probably haven't read it in at least 25 years. Maybe 35 years.

I'd suggest anybody who considers getting a copy, stand in the bookstore

and read the forward, then open it and read a few paragraphs in several spots.

See what fate picks out for you. If it makes you think, in a growing way,

get the hard back version, and a hi-light pen, and make notes in it as you read it,

because IF you finish, and IF you read it again, it will add greatly to your self-awareness

to be reminded how un-aware you were when you made those first notes.

:ride

·
Registered
26 Posts
My take about this book is that its all about our head....left is not always right and right is not always left...ponder,,,:know

·
Ambassador
3,741 Posts
Early on in our development as we grow from a child the two halves of the brain start to loose connections by way of the corpus callosum. One hemisphere or "side" becomes dominant. However some like myself maintain a strong connection resulting in both right and left functionality. I'm strong in the right by writing, painting etc and strong in the left by engineering, and things mechanical and technical.

Unfortunately however not a master of either. When I paint, I can become too critical of my own work and see flaws when others do not. Also when I take technical training I'm eager at first but then my eyes gloss over when then course is prolonged or too slow a pace.

·
Registered
36,956 Posts
Early on in our development as we grow from a child the two halves of the brain start to loose connections by way of the corpus callosum. One hemisphere or "side" becomes dominant. However some like myself maintain a strong connection resulting in both right and left functionality. I'm strong in the right by writing, painting etc and strong in the left by engineering, and things mechanical and technical.

Unfortunately however not a master of either. When I paint, I can become too critical of my own work and see flaws when others do not. Also when I take technical training I'm eager at first but then my eyes gloss over when then course is prolonged or too slow a pace.
I'm the same way.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
12,803 Posts
As am I... I think
(...late response....)

No argument, at a "macro" level, but consider the possibility of something like "equal and opposite reactions...." about the way you think

If so, it makes plain the earth-shaking experience of an epiphany,

if an intangible, a non-event in real life, just an idea or a thought causes a realization, and changes the way you think, at a basic and thus profound level, it to some degree changes who or what you are...

IMHO earth-shaking indeed.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
OK, after reading this thread months ago I ordered the book. Paperback version. You all got my interest up. But...., it will be cold weather time before I sit down to read anything more than a local newspaper and maybe quickly read through a gun magazine.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
12,803 Posts
MAY I STRONGLY SUGGEST... don't try to read this straight thru, without a frequent pause to consider and digest..

I also apologize in advance, it is a bit dated, a book partly about the impact of technology on people and society, that predates PCs, cell-phones, and laptops, is pretty hard pressed not to miss the target.

Another thing to keep in mind, there have been a million discussions about "quality" since this book, at the time it was pretty unique, and still is unique in making a good case that "Quality" is a unique parameter.

Just FYI, the book and the topic had many people enthralled, for a long time.

The Metaphysics of Quality (MoQ) is a theory of reality introduced in Robert Pirsig's philosophical novel, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (1974)

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
12,803 Posts
As am I... I think
Of course you are...

"Thou art that, which asserts that everything you think you are (Subjective), and everything you think you perceive (Objective), are undivided. To fully realize this lack of division is to become enlightened."

21 - 36 of 36 Posts