Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
I dont know
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the market for a GPS. Im looking at the Zumo 660 because it is waterproof and uses a Harley install kit.

Whats the difference between the Garman 660 and Harleys 660? If its just the price, I can be happy with the Garman 660.

Will the unit from Garman work on the handlebar mount? I have a tweeter pod so I cant use the fairing mount.

Lastly, will the interface module work on the handlebar mount, or does it work on the fairing mount only?

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
Same exact unit, the 660 and 665 are the same case garmin or HD. The 665 has xm radio built in. The HD version.just comes preloaded with HD dealers as POI. I have a garmin handle bar mount on my bike using my HD gps. They are the same thing. You can also get the HD radio interface if you have a fairing radio and it will give your directions over the radio or intercom headset.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,748 Posts
You can go online and get the HD dealer POI downloaded into your unit. My NUVI is standard Garmin and has been rained on so many times, if it isn't waterproof, then waterproofing is a waste of money.

·
Smiles. A lot!
8,683 Posts
I have the 665 integrally wired to my ultra and love it!!! Pricey but really nice...I would recommend it

Mine is fairing mounted so I don't know the answer...but I don't see why it wouldn't work on the handlebar mount since it is still wired in with the same docking mount just different location mount...

·
I dont know
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all. I can get the HD 660 online for $520, I haven't see a been price on the Garman 660.

I don't care for the XM, plus the 660 has a built in MP3 player anyway.

Ive tried several different GPS's in the past. I was never satisfied with the mounting systems or the way power was wired. Ive decided to just bite the bullet and spend the cash.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
Well the mp3 player, you have to run a cable from the gps to the aux port on the radio. I opted out on.using mine that way, my ocd and all cant have a cable running across my dash, nsot when I can burn 250+ songs to one cd...

·
I dont know
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Surdyke had the 660 for $519.96 last week, this week it is 617.45.

Im going with the non-Harley version for $485.

·
I dont know
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My zumo 660 arrived today. Love it love it love it.

Now I need to decide how I want to mount it, on the supplied mount, or with the HD handlebar mount. I cant use the fairing mount because of the Hogtunes tweeter pod.

·
because........boobs
57 Posts
Does anyone have pics of their 660's mounted on handlebars? I have a 13 Deluxe and I dont really want to mount a gps on the bike, but for new/long trips I would like to put one on for the sake of learning new riding areas. I know Im not going to be to happy with the look, but hoping I can make it look as minimally magoo as possible. I dont have a fairing so its not gonna blend in as well as you guys with the glides etc...

thanks in advance!

·
Been There Done That
228 Posts
I bought my Zumo 450 7 years ago and still perfect. I have it handlebar mounted on a Road King. My sense is many bikers are jealous of the Zumo and it don't look bad on the handlebars. It just plain works as advertised. Sorry no picture.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
They are exactly the same except, the Garmin 660 will not work with the Harley nav interface module (NIM). You have to have the Harley Roadtech Zumo 660 to do that. To get turn by turn directions through your radio with the Garmin, you have to use the aux port on the radio.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Whats the difference between the Garman 660 and Harleys 660?

The Garmin 660 will work ?

.…...........................................

"I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle"

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
Does anyone have pics of their 660's mounted on handlebars? I have a 13 Deluxe and I dont really want to mount a gps on the bike, but for new/long trips I would like to put one on for the sake of learning new riding areas. I know Im not going to be to happy with the look, but hoping I can make it look as minimally magoo as possible. I dont have a fairing so its not gonna blend in as well as you guys with the glides etc...

thanks in advance!
I dont have one handy, not sure if it woukd help you since I have a full fairing, but I can take a pic when I get home later this evening

1 - 20 of 32 Posts