Harley Davidson Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thank you for the write up; I am about to get one for my FXDC because the stock headlight does not cut it on dark roads. And the LED looks so cool!

I have heard about the lack of side beam efectiveness before; but I guess the rest of it makes up for it?

Also concerned about angry cagers (see below). If you angle it down a bit will it calm them?
Thanks!
Screw the cagers. Imo, you position that beam wherever it works best for u day and night. Keep high beams on during daytime. If u get flashed the turn ur high beam on and point it right at there face. You have got to look out for YOU and if they are flashing you then take it as the LED's are doing exacty what they need to be doing, Making u visible. I go out at night, loosen the adjuster nuts just enough to where I can move the light but they will still hold the light in place by themselves, and adjust the light by sight. I line it up to where I want it to be and then snug everything back down. That headlight adjustment in the manual is to low IMO, you can get way better use out of the headlight if you do it the way I stated above.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just installed the Daymaker LED Headlight on my 2012 Wide Glide a few days ago. I havent seen to many reviews of this smaller headlight so I wanted to share my thoughts so far-

Install-
quick and easy! Unscrew the headlight trim ring, unplug OEM headlamp, grease connecters with electric contact grease, plug in LED and replace trim ring- All Done!

Product difference-
I am really happy with the light overall. I am able to see more clearly with the White light the LED projects, I am also able to see farther and Wider then I ever have before. One downfall to the LED, it does project perfectly in the sweet spot, right out in front of the bike but when making a turn and with the bike being angled, it too is at an angle and visibility on the same side as the turn (I.E. - left turn, left side) is greatly reduced. You can still see the road on either sides but the distance is what suffers when making a turn and having the bike at an angle.
Overall- I am very happy with the LED headlight. I think it was money well spent and if I could do it again, I would have bought it sooner. Having a Dyna, the lighting for these models is basic, you have a headlight and a couple turn signals. Nothing more. It is very difficult to ride at nite with the stock set up because people don't see you that well and well, you cant really see that well either but now I am able to feel confident that my chances of being seen are greatly improved both during day and night riding. Hope this helps, Heres a few pics

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle
Im installing on my 2011 fxdwg, what is the extra red wire for. I have no wires other then the factory plug for the bulb.

·
Intellectual Redneck
108 Posts
Have this on the Night Train and Love it. The reliability of LEDs versus Halogen are well known, these headlight should outlast any 6 Halogen bulbs, and out perform 2 of them. I usually replace every bulb I can with LEDs, but I havn't gone that route with the Harley yet.

·
Registered
36,947 Posts
Im installing on my 2011 fxdwg, what is the extra red wire for. I have no wires other then the factory plug for the bulb.
There's a small bar and shield on the face of the DayMaker that lights up if that wire is connected to 12v.

Touring models have that extra connection. Cruiser models do not.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts